ISO: Stationary Flooded-cell Lead Acid Battery "Bible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverPower512

I am looking for a "bible" for stationary lead-acid cells used in power generation stations. My goal is to become a (relative) technical expert on lead acid cell construction, operation and maintenance to improve my battery inspection program. Does anybody have a recommendation for such a book?

I found a book that looks promising: "Battery Technology Handbook," edited by Kiehne (ISBN 0-8247-4249-4) available from CRC Press for $240.

Any opinions on the BTH will be much appreciated. I would also appreciate any suggestions for other suitable resources/texts. Thanks!

RiverPower512

Well IEEE std 450 is the "Bible", find yourself any ex navy submarine electrician if you want a guru, the battery training they get is as good as it gets.

This class is pretty good too
http://www.avotraining.com/courses/electrical-maintenance-training/battery-maintenance-and-testing/

Thanks for the training recommendation. Indeed, IEEE-450 is useful, but much too vague when it comes to mechanisms of failure and detailed inspections/evaluations. I am looking to evaluate cells in an existing bank and I need to know what visual, chemical, and electrical parameters to measure to determine the overall health of a cell.

zog

Thanks for the training recommendation. Indeed, IEEE-450 is useful, but much too vague when it comes to mechanisms of failure and detailed inspections/evaluations. I am looking to evaluate cells in an existing bank and I need to know what visual, chemical, and electrical parameters to measure to determine the overall health of a cell.

A load test or impedence test is the best to determine overall health. Have you read the battery testing guide from Megger? Free download on thier website.

RiverPower512

I have a bank of several hundred cells, and I wish to reuse a portion of them, so I need to weed out the obviously bad cells using qualitative criterion (Visual inspections) so I don't waste time/money performing electrical tests on unusable cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.