IT room grounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

IT room: we have to bond all the racks, cable trace above and
underfloor raise floor to ground bar in the room with min. #6 or #3/0 copper, is it correct?

Someone please remind me which article talking about this rule??? Thanks!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't think that you'll find any of that information in the NEC. Maybe Dereck will chime in.

dereckbc

Staff member
There is no NEC rule, it is an industry specification/requirement. Its gravy train, laugh all the way to the bank. If you are looing for a document with details you will have to purchase it from BICSI, ANSI, Belcore or other like industry publication for big bucks.

Last edited:

dereckbc

Staff member
How's about 250.190? Will this be the case?
Not really, 250.4 is about as close as you going to get. What most of the IT stuff is considered Supplemental Grounding and is not required but permitted by the NEC. In otherwords out of the NEC scope

Here is the deal, all the raceways, equipment racks ect.. are covered in various areas of the NEC. For example the equipment racks assuming they will have AC powered equipment installed in them should be grounded by the EGC ran with the circuit conductors, so in that case there is no additional NEC requirement. Now if it is just a line-up of equipment racks containing passive equipment like Cross-Connect panels, then by NEC you would be required to ground it and the size of the bonding jumper would depend on the size of the most likely circuit that could come in contact with the equipment rack. In all likely hood that would be a 20-amp circuit which requires a minimum 12AWG per NEC, or if you want a 6 AWG or 3/0 will also work and be NEC compliant. Getting the picture? :grin:

The IT requirements/specifications you are seeing are not within scope of the NEC and is considered supplemental.

chevyx92

IT room: we have to bond all the racks, cable trace above and
underfloor raise floor to ground bar in the room with min. #6 or #3/0 copper, is it correct?

Someone please remind me which article talking about this rule??? Thanks!

#6 will suffice for all. No need to waste money on anything bigger. IMO.

dereckbc

Staff member
#6 will suffice for all. No need to waste money on anything bigger. IMO.
Yep. I guees what the OP is facing someone or whoever spec out the job doesn't know what they want and probable picked up on some BICSI standards or through out a catch all statement in a contract of meet the requirements of ANSI-J-STD-607-A which really has no requirements, just sugestions and recommendations. You see it a lot of junk like that from LV contractors who really do not know much about electrical or communucation equipment grounding/bonding. Sad but true. They come with some intials after their name like RCCD:smile:

anbm

I agreed, I saw some telecommunication spec. calls out for huge ground wire and ground bonding to their IT ground bar and rack, couldn't figure out how they come up with those ground wire size, based on what code, standard, etc. This drives me nut!

Status
Not open for further replies.