'It's only Low Voltage'

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierre

I met the husband of a friend yesterday, and we got into a discussion of low voltage lighting (he found out I was in the industry). He is having a friend who owes him a 'favor' install his new landscape lighting. There is 300 feet of wire and 18 fixtures off of a 600 VA transformer. The friend told him to buy 12 awg conductor, which he did. I told him the conductor was too small and he should contact the friend and get larger conductor.

Today (sunday) he calls me and tells me his friend says I don't know what I am talking about, it is 'only low voltage' and 12 awg is all he ever uses. Then he says, this guy is union he must know what he is talking about. I asked if he filed for the work? He didn't, a permit and inspection is required in this jurisdiction.
Sometimes I don't know why I say anything at all.

I am starting to know how professional coaches must feel when I 'armchair quarterback' on sundays.

Pierre

hurk27

Re: 'It's only Low Voltage'

Ask him if he relizes that there will be 50 amps on the wire if he uses the whole amount the transformer can put out.
the other thing is if the runs are ran individal to the transformer then the current can be kept under 20 amps but the short circuit current will be high.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: 'It's only Low Voltage'

A low voltage lighting system is installed per NEC Article 411, and it is composed of parts identified for the purpose by the mfg.

And E=IxR for low voltage. Run a voltage drop before you get too far along.

Status
Not open for further replies.