J-Box Access

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a 1x4 fixture in a hard ceiling (drywall metal studs) and the fixture is removable is this an acceptable means of access to the J-box?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building.
The fixture is not part of the structure or finish. A j-box above a removable fixture is accessible.
314.29 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, and Handhole Enclosures to Be Accessible
Boxes, conduit bodies, and handhole enclosures shall be installed so that the wiring contained in them can be rendered accessible without removing any part of the building or, in underground circuits, without excavating sidewalks, paving, earth, or other substance that is to be used to establish the finished grade.
Again, I don't see the fixture as being "part of the building".

raider1

Staff member
No, It has to be accessible with out removing the light.

What about the j-box for a recessed can?

IMHO the j-box would be still be accessible. Removing a recessed luminaire from a hard ceiling should not damage the building structure or finish. (If you are careful.:))

Chris

Buck Parrish

Our local AHJ's won't let us cover a box with a 1x4 flourescent light.
I think that is why they now make a large knockout in the back of some of these light fixtures. You put that over the box and your okay.
Now we are talking it is mounted right up against it, right?

raider1

Staff member
Our local AHJ's won't let us cover a box with a 1x4 flourescent light.
I think that is why they now make a large knockout in the back of some of these light fixtures. You put that over the box and your okay.
Now we are talking it is mounted right up against it, right?

If you are surface mounting an electric discharge luminaire take a look at 410.24(B) (2008)

I read the OP as the 1X4 luminaire being recessed in the hard ceiling.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Obviously the wording could be better.

So then which section would you cite as a violation?

None, unless the fixture is a surface mount flourescent and then 410.24(B) (2008) or 410.14(B) (2005) NEC.

Again, if it is a violation to have a j-box above a removable recessed 1X4 fixture how would you install a recessed can?

Chris

RonPecinaJr

None, unless the fixture is a surface mount flourescent and then 410.24(B) (2008) or 410.14(B) (2005) NEC.

Again, if it is a violation to have a j-box above a removable recessed 1X4 fixture how would you install a recessed can?

Chris

I would argue that the can comes with a box for fixture wire connections and a surface-mounted 1x4 fluorescent does not come with a box. But I enjoy the discussion. :)

Also, just so I fully understand the points being made, if I have a 1x4 surface mounted fluorescent light fixture, as long as that 3-4" knockout that comes with the fixture is placed over the junction box it is ok to "bury it" because it is accessible. This I agree with.

The way i pictured what the OP was doing was covering up a j-box with a finishing material and then hanging the light. If this were the case there'd be no way of knowing a junction box exists above the light fixture and finished surface. And that's what lead me to 314.29.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The OP did say a fixture in a hard ceiling and that the fixture is removable. I would understand that to mean that the fixture is recessed and the box is adjacent to the fixture above the ceiling. When Sam checks back maybe we can get some clarification.

raider1

Staff member
The OP did say a fixture in a hard ceiling and that the fixture is removable. I would understand that to mean that the fixture is recessed and the box is adjacent to the fixture above the ceiling. When Sam checks back maybe we can get some clarification.

I agree, this type of installation is what I felt the OPer was referring to.

Chris

JES2727

Also, just so I fully understand the points being made, if I have a 1x4 surface mounted fluorescent light fixture, as long as that 3-4" knockout that comes with the fixture is placed over the junction box it is ok to "bury it" because it is accessible. This I agree with.
I agree that the OP was not describing this type of install, but now that you've brought it up .... I don't think a 3/4" ko is a "suitable opening...... to provide access to the wiring in the box". I think what you're describing is a violation of 410.24(B). But what the OP is describing is not a violation.

410.14 Connection of Electric-Discharge Luminaires
(Lighting Fixtures).

(B) Access to Boxes.
Electric-discharge luminaires (fixtures) surface mounted over concealed outlet, pull, or junction boxes and designed not to be supported solely by the outlet box shall be provided with suitable openings in the back of the luminaire (fixture) to provide access to the wiring in the box.

This means that most of the flourescents we see surface mounted will be required to have an opening in the pan large enough to access the Jbox. A 3/4 inch KO is not sufficient to access the wiring in the box.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
.... I don't think a 3/4" ko is a "suitable opening...... to provide access to the wiring in the box".
I believe Ron was talking about the 3 to 4 inch KO that many strip fixtures have in the back surface, not a 3/4" hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.