J-Box Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

JES2727

I believe Ron was talking about the 3 to 4 inch KO that many strip fixtures have in the back surface, not a 3/4" hole.

Oh, I see. Never mind. It's the word "knockout" that threw me. When I look at it I see an access hole, not a conduit entry. So it's a hole, and the 3/4" is a knockout. Exactly the opposite from what you've written. Doesn't matter, it's just words...

banelec

access to boxes

access to boxes

I am involved in energy efficient lighting upgrade projects.
So I am dealing with existing wiring- extending the wiring into the fixture is usually not an option- and also undesirable because it is old wiring and probably is not the correct temp rating to be next to a ballast.

What do you think of the following situations:
1. Taking down an existing surface mounted 8ft fluorscent and replacing with same- the existing fixture is supported at one end by a hickey thru the ceneter of the outlet box- making a 4" hole in this situation would require breaking open the ceiling to provide an new support. Does the supported solely by the box cover this- it is supported at one end by the box.

2. 2ft fluorescent fixture (W44) about 4" wide barely covers the outlet box. A 4" hole would be the full width of the fixture and surely weaken it. Can I get away with the supported solely by the box rule if I want to add extra supports directly to the wall at each side to make secure. Fixtures are installed in schools where vandalism is a problem.

3. Highhats. Existing recessed high hat can- we remove the can and install a surface wrap fixture over the opening and connect the lamp whip directly into the back of the fixture. The highhat slice box is above the ceiling as it always was.
I can understand the reasons for the code change but should there be an exception for existing wiring conditions. Rewiring the building is not an option in these projects.

I am involved in energy efficient lighting upgrade projects.
So I am dealing with existing wiring- extending the wiring into the fixture is usually not an option- and also undesirable because it is old wiring and probably is not the correct temp rating to be next to a ballast.

What do you think of the following situations:
1. Taking down an existing surface mounted 8ft fluorscent and replacing with same- the existing fixture is supported at one end by a hickey thru the ceneter of the outlet box- making a 4" hole in this situation would require breaking open the ceiling to provide an new support. Does the supported solely by the box cover this- it is supported at one end by the box.

2. 2ft fluorescent fixture (W44) about 4" wide barely covers the outlet box. A 4" hole would be the full width of the fixture and surely weaken it. Can I get away with the supported solely by the box rule if I want to add extra supports directly to the wall at each side to make secure. Fixtures are installed in schools where vandalism is a problem.

3. Highhats. Existing recessed high hat can- we remove the can and install a surface wrap fixture over the opening and connect the lamp whip directly into the back of the fixture. The highhat slice box is above the ceiling as it always was.
I can understand the reasons for the code change but should there be an exception for existing wiring conditions. Rewiring the building is not an option in these projects.

I could never understand how someone says this. If it takes rewiring to comply with the codes, then rewiring is in order. That is when knowing the codes really is a plus, and equal enforcement is applied.

banelec

access to boxes

access to boxes

Does the "supported solely by the box" just refer to incandescents, exit signs etc- fixtures that have mounting holes to match ethe box screws, or can a 2ft fluorescent be drilled and mounted to the box screws.

(in a 2ft fixture the ballast will almost reach the midpoint of the fixture so cutting a 3 or 4 inch hole and keeping box wiring 3 inches away from the ballast means having to install fixtures off-center. think replacing a incandescent centered over a medicine cabinet with a 2ft vanity fixture)

banelec

access to boxes

access to boxes

""410.14 Connection of Electric-Discharge Luminaires
(Lighting Fixtures).

(B) Access to Boxes.

Electric-discharge luminaires (fixtures) surface mounted over concealed outlet, pull, or junction boxes...""

If the fixture is mounted over a surface or flush mounted "unconcealed" box, does this section not apply. A concealed box would be a violation without any fixture.

I see proposals to remove the word "concealed" from the 2011 code to rectify the interpretation.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.