J-box in high ambient temperature environment?

sw_ross

I did a little work at a brewery last week hooking up power to a new heating element in their 900 gallon hot water tank. CD450B3C-17EA-483C-80B5-050EFFB198A7.jpeg
It’s a 9kW element at 240v 3P so it’s only pulling about 22 amps.
There’s 2 elements, both are 9kW in this tank.
The problem is that the heat given off by the tank when it heated up makes the ambient air temperature around the j-box very high and the wire insulation melts back to a point where things short out in the j-box, shorting out the element and tripping the breaker.
Here’s a picture of the old element’s j-box:
C3F50F80-0EA6-4E95-8E39-7D231FC1993A.jpeg
I’m not sure the best solution to the problem. I decided to upsize the wire to #8 and I used some heat shrink and added a layer of tape over the crimp connectors where the wire is crimped to try and mitigate the insulation melting issue.

I’m not confident that upsizing the wire is the best solution. The #10 wire is more than adequate for the current.

Any suggestions for an alternative solution would be much appreciated.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We've hooked up jacket heaters on generators that required a minimum conductor temperature of 125° C. We used type Z insulated conductors rated at 150° C in dry locations.

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
I used some heat shrink and added a layer of tape over the crimp connectors where the wire is crimped to try and mitigate the insulation melting issue.
Some strip back may have helped, all that is just retaining heat. I also would be thinking about some appliance wire here.

MTW

SRML is high temp wire used in commercial cooking equipment for internal wiring in grills and fryers. Also used for motor leads. If you get some temp rated crimp terminals to go with it, you will be good to go for the long haul.

masterinbama

I have used this in the past on annealing furnaces in an aluminum plant