j-box or LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krim

Ok since the consensus is against LB's for corner use with the larger wire,
just what do you suggest as the best way to accomplish this.The job I've mentioned in another posting has alot of corners.So far I'm still contemplating the various angles to order but it also looks as though the best way is going to be pushing the wire through the conduit and whatever fittings and than cement the fittings together as I go.Someone had mentioned that you can't fit 3 -#350s in a standard 3" LB. If the conduit is sized large enough per the conduit fill tables, you're saying that the condulets aren't designed to allow the wire to fit ?

iwire

Staff member
Krim said:
If the conduit is sized large enough per the conduit fill tables, you're saying that the condulets aren't designed to allow the wire to fit ?

Yes exactly that.

That becomes a real possibility with larger size conductors.

For example, 2" EMT can handle four 4/0s THHN no problem, a standard 2" LB can only handle three 4/0s. The info is stamped inside the LB.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
micromind said:
I use C condulets frequently when the run exceeds 360 deg., and I can pull it in one shot. It complies with code, and pulling straight through one is not an issue at all. I frequently forget to put the covers on, though.

Not really. On larger conduit, if the condulet isn't properly sized it does not count as a pulling point. So if the condulet says MAX 3-300 kcmil and you are pulling in 3-350's it does not satisfy the no more than 360 degree rule whether or not you can pull through it.

Krim

iwire said:
Yes exactly that.

That becomes a real possibility with larger size conductors.

For example, 2" EMT can handle four 4/0s THHN no problem, a standard 2" LB can only handle three 4/0s. The info is stamped inside the LB.

Heck Bob, I've never looked inside of one long enough to notice any wording in'em. Did it also say "Made in China" in there ?
Thanks.
Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.