job cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

Sparky555 said:
The OP is a little hard for me to follow for my pricing, but I'm coming up more in the $2500+ neighborhood. As Brian said, your price wouldn't cover my labor. It looks like a day+. Do a breakeven calculation. It'll be an eye-opener.

Dave

what good is knowing your costs, when you can only charge the going rate?

Sparky555

emahler said:
what good is knowing your costs, when you can only charge the going rate?

So you know how much money you're losing on every job. Maybe after knowing you lost $1k on a job you could figure, it'll be better if I only lose $500 on this next one. Then maybe you do the next few at cost, then make $50 on the next one. Anything can happen.

Dave

emahler

Sparky555 said:
So you know how much money you're losing on every job. Maybe after knowing you lost $1k on a job you could figure, it'll be better if I only lose $500 on this next one. Then maybe you do the next few at cost, then make $50 on the next one. Anything can happen.

Dave

that would just increase the suicide rate of electrical contractors....

electricmanscott

Sparky555 said:

Dave

Or.....you can cut right to the chase and charge accordingly from the get go and just skip the whole losing money part.....

growler

nizak said:
I'm dealing with a HO who thinks that I am juicing him on a job. I gave him a price of $775.00, Material , labor, and permit fee. Does this price seem unrealistic?

It's not a good idea to do these jobs T&M. The best way is to give a flat rate quote up-front and have him sign a work order. That way he knows what to expect at the end of the job. If he wishes then he does have the option to find someone cheaper.

If you had given a flat rate quote of even $1200 then you would still be better off than you are now. In this areas the quotes could range form a trunk slammer at $775( or lower ) to some of the better established companies comming in at well over two grand. It would really depend on who the customer got his quotes from on the chances of getting the job. If he gets quotes from trunk slammers and side jobbers then I know I don't have a chance in hell of getting a job. Why worry about it, but if he gets quotes only from established contractors I think a bid of $1500 to $1800 would at least have a chance. If you try to be the low bidder on every job you will get screwed.

emahler

electricmanscott said:
Or.....you can cut right to the chase and charge accordingly from the get go and just skip the whole losing money part.....

nah...i vote for just cutting the customer a check for the amount you are losing, and just staying home...

bill j

A 20 & 30 Amp 2 pole gfci supplied by the mfg., sounds like Hot Springs or Tiger River. Hot Springs is a very high end with Tiger River not far behind. 7,000.00 to 10,000.00 range.

mdshunk

nizak said:
I gave him a price of $775.00, Material , labor, and permit fee. Does this price seem unrealistic?
Nope, not at all. In fact, I don't know how you did it for that. I'm getting between $1600 and $1800, sight unseen.

Status
Not open for further replies.