Job I lost. Tuesday's Photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zog

Are phone calls returned promptly? Are questions answered straightforward, and in an manner that's understandable? Do you even feel like there is a commitment to customer service even in the bid/quote stage?

Ask around.... ask coworkers, neighbors, friends, etc. about their experience with the company. Ask for references, and actually follow through with contacting previous customers. Contact the BBB & Angies List.

Does the company even appear to act professional? Are the employees you are dealing with acting professional?

It's hard to quantify emotions and gut feelings, but you get the idea.

Exactly. I had 3 bids for a sprinkler system at my house. Cheap guy called me to follow up and I said I gave the job to someone else, he asked if he could match the price. I said, you were low bid but the guy who got the job showed up on time and had a good plan liad out, you showed up 2 hours after you said you would and offered no plan just gave me a number. Those things I go on gut and impressions. For work I will always check references and look at past experience.

wptski

No one can predict the future performance of a contractor, I believe what 480 was pointing out was, if a company has a good customer service track record, they may be a the better choice.
Needed some grass removed and pavers laid. Dr. Brick came in a truck held together with duct tape wearing plaid shorts, black socks with sneakers. No samples and wanted to fix my chimney too! He was low at $1200.

The #2 guy, I left a phone message, all email from then on, $1800.

The #3 guy, girl cam with brochure, measured and left a quote for $2300. Noticed sq. ft. was 30% over actual size. Emailed, came down only $200!

Went to home improvement show, picked up a business card and called. Lady came by with samples and made a correct measurement to double check what I said over the phone. Emails followed to select patterns to match the confined area. The job was done for $1641.

Porch repair job, tuck and pointing. One guy never returned my phone calls and the second guy never showed for his appointment. Found a local on the internet, surveyed the whole house and pointed out several areas needing work. Quoted $1250. Called some weeks later as promised. Porch foundation was worse than expected but agreed to do the job as quoted. I wrote a check for $1350 and the guy said that it was the first tip that he and his buddy ever got!:D

Ohmy

It looks like he still needs a service change. What a hack job.

Apparently, this is common though. I fired a electrician a couple months ago who tried to do the same thing to one of our clients. The guy is a licensed master electrician and swears that he "did it all the time" at the big franchise company he came from.

We ended up replacing the panel for free. I was soo embarrassed when I saw it. The poor customer didn't even know it was wrong. I told him we had to make some adjustments and was going to send out another electrician.

Split Bolt

When people tell me they found someone who will do it for a lot less $$$, I tell them if they hire me to fix it afterward, it will be double! "Pay me now or pay me later!":grin:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I don't fault someone for trying to get the best honest price he can. Money is hard to come by. But if customer gets prices from electricians and then gets an AC man to do this, he should know better. As I see it, our man here should charge the same price he quoted earlier and stick to it. If you do this for charity, he will continue to get poor work done cheap, knowing you will follow up and kindly clean up the mess for cheap every time.

I had a lady a while back tell me she got 7 quotes---being relatively new at running my own business I was hesitant to do this but I walked away. I told her if she had 7 prices/7contractor choices I was not her guy. I said I would give her a fair price for her and for myself. It was a very small job---right or wrong, I wanted no part of it. She would be a problem in my mind. 7 is too many---3 or 4 is OK

Status
Not open for further replies.