Jockey Pump tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

binwork91

Occupation
electrical engineer
I tap a jockey pump at load side feeder of fire pump service switch.
Can the jockey pump tap conductor terminate in jockey pump controller? or I have to have a fuse/switch for jockey pump then feed jockey pump controller?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I would think it would have to comply with the 240.21 tap rules.

binwork91

Occupation
electrical engineer
I would think it would have to comply with the 240.21 tap rules.
it is motor, I think it should be 430.28. they are similar.
Anyway, I just want to know if I need a fuse/switch for jockey pump. I think I don't need fuse/switch, I want to terminate tap conductor to the jockey pump controller, but my friend has different opinion.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
If your jockey pump controller has SCGF protection and you meet all the other tap requirements I would think you go supply it directly.
What is his reason for disagreement ?

binwork91

Occupation
electrical engineer
If your jockey pump controller has SCGF protection and you meet all the other tap requirements I would think you go supply it directly.
What is his reason for disagreement ?
I don't know if jockey pump controller has SCGF protection. is there a reason or code required jocky pump controller to has SCGF protection?

His reason is code said "shall terminate in a branch-circuit protective device". The line side of tap is not terminate in branch-circuit protective device, because the tap at feeder. And if load side of tap conductor terminate in fuse/switch. Then it comply with code. and controller is not branch-circuit protective device.

430.28 Feeder Taps. Feeder tap conductors shall have an
ampacity not less than that required by Part II, shall terminate
in a branch-circuit protective device
, and, in addition,
shall meet one of the following requirements:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
The motor would be required to have a SCGF protective device per 430.52. If that is part of your jockey controller and the conductors meet the other requirements of 430.28 I see no need for a additional device.

Status
Not open for further replies.