Jocky Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Pike

Does the jocky pump controller need ocpd? I cant find it in nfpa 20 or 70.

My thoughts were to run a conduit out to the service and tap with the fire pump feeders to the SE rated jocky controller,no ocpd.I belive I could also tap before the fire pump controller but I would then have to adjust the F/pump feeders.

Not sure on the best way to install this.This is a design build and my first fire pump.

Thanks for any advice.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I don't believe that a separate service for a jockey pump is allowed by code (at least I don't see an allowance in 230.2(A)).

It is allowed to be tapped from the service feeding the fire pump. The jockey pump itself would need to meet the requirements of Art. 430, like any other motor.

Al Pike

Hey thanks Dave, my problem is that I have to run my service encased 10' in a bulk head due to pipes and obstructions.Could I exit the bulk head into a 2hr rated jbox,wire way for the taps then hit the controllers?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Can't you get a feeder to the jockey pump from a panel in the building? The jockey pump is permitted to be connected from the fire pump circuit, but its not required to be.

Al Pike

Yes I can.Is that in NFPA 20?

So all I have to do is size conductors and short circuit/ground fault to my jocky controller as normal and I'm golden.

I would have thought that it required the same deal as the fire pump.I would think the jocky failing would create a pressure issue in flow.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not sure about NFPA 20, but I'm looking at NEC Art 695. First, 695.1(B) says jockey pumps are not covered by Art 695. So the jockey pump motor would have to be per Art 430.

Second, 695.3(A) say "...the sum of the locked-rotor current of the fire pump motors(s) and the pressure maintenance pump motor(s) and the full-load current of the associated fire pump accessory equipment when connected to this power supply..."

I read this as permitting the jockey pump to be connected to the fire pump power source, but not requiring it.

jdsmith

There is a lot more electrical jockey pump information in the electrical chapter of NFPA 20. From what I remember NFPA 20 has been around for a while and just recently they decided to copy some, but not all, of the electrical requirements from NFPA 20 into the NEC in article 695.

Status
Not open for further replies.