Join several new underground PVC conduits (with an existing SER) for passage under walkway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manrigdude

New User
Occupation
Retired
First post here. I've learned a lot from this forum using the search feature but I can't find any guidance on this particular issue. So, I'm hoping someone can offer some advice (besides hire an electrician). I'm installing a 16KW solar array and a 17KW propane backup generator on my shop about 100' from my house. There is an existing 2-2-2-8 ga SER direct burial electrical line running from the panel in the house to a subpanel in the shop. It passes through a 2" PVC conduit where it passes under an 8' wide concrete walkway next to the house.

Now I will be running 2 new conduits to the house: One 1 1/4" PVC for the generator (4,4,4,8 THWN plus a 18/5 tray cable) and one 1" PVC for the DC solar inputs to my MPPT (6 runs of 10ga UL 4703). Along the lines of a picture being worth 1,000 words, I drew a picture but I can't figure out how to post it. It will only take a URL and I don't have a way to host it so you'll just have to draw a picture in your mind I guess!

My question is: How can I use the existing 2" conduit to get under the pathway? Again, it already has the 2-2-2 direct burial lines running through it. Just terminate the 2 new conduits at the end of the existing 2" conduit and pull the wires through leaving a small "gap" between the ends of the conduits? Or some sort of burial-rated junction box? Home Depot has a 10" round Electrical Splice Box that is bottomless and may work to protect everything but is there a better way to do this? I shouldn't violate the conduit fill limits of the 2" conduit with all these new wires and everytihng (AC and DC) are jacket-rated for 600V so I think they can all run together through there (correct me if I am mistaken). So, it would seem reasonable to use the existing pipe. I just can't figure out the "best" way to do that.

Thanks for your comments.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum’s rules.

This site is designed for:

Contractors
Electricians
Engineers
Inspectors
Instructors
Other electrically related individuals
This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries.

Forum rules prohibit us from assisting a person to perform or assist others to do electrical work. The reason is that the forum’s owner does not want a person to get an answer to the question they asked, but not get answers to the other questions they should have asked and were unaware they needed to ask. Mike Holt Enterprises and the Moderators of this Forum do not wish to place you and your family in danger, by allowing others to give you too little information to ensure that the installation is safe

Status
Not open for further replies.