Journeymans exam question

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a question on the Rhode Island (closed book) journeyman exam that two of my apprentices were stumped by.
All of the multiple choice answers had a dimension so none of the above was not an option.
They both chose 3 feet.
I cannot find an answer in the NEC or the Rhode Island state code.

The question goes like this:

A 277 volt outdoor luminaire shall have not less than_____ ft. clearance from a fire escape.

Any thoughts on this?

Kirby

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
There is a question on the Rhode Island (closed book) journeyman exam that two of my apprentices were stumped by.
All of the multiple choice answers had a dimension so none of the above was not an option.
They both chose 3 feet.
I cannot find an answer in the NEC or the Rhode Island state code.

The question goes like this:

A 277 volt outdoor luminaire shall have not less than_____ ft. clearance from a fire escape.

Any thoughts on this?

Kirby

Hello Kirby, Welcome aboard...:D

That question should be scrubbed because that wording is not in the 2014 NEC, I just spent 2 hours looking for it, so if anyone can find it great---I could not find it however...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
2008 NEC:

225.7(C) 277 Volts to Ground. Circuits exceeding 120 volts, nominal, between conductors and not exceeding 277 volts, nominal, to ground shall be permitted to supply luminaires for illumination of outdoor areas of industrial establishments, office buildings, schools, stores, and other commercial or public buildings where the luminaires are not less than 900 mm (3 ft) from windows, platforms, fire escapes, and the like.

2011 NEC:

225.7(C) 277 Volts to Ground. Circuits exceeding 120 volts, nominal, between conductors and not exceeding 277 volts,
nominal, to ground shall be permitted to supply luminaires for illumination of outdoor areas of industrial establishments, office buildings, schools, stores, and other commercial or public buildings.

If under the 2011 or 2014 the answer would be zero.

jbelectric777

The luminaire question

The luminaire question

That should not have been on the exam like the other fella said, it was an error by one of the testing services when they used them and not picked up on until people such as yourself remembered it and remembered to ask. It was actually a question for the fire code officials exam. Not NEC, it's not there anywhere but the answer both your men got it right (36") Off the top of my head doesn't a service drop only need 3 feet? The good news is when it was found out, the scoring was automatic to give credit. Any question that the masses get wrong, usually everyone gets credit for. I'm taking it one of these days and understand RI is thinning out the population so they put more theory in is all. If a question comes up from conductor properties for example they will provide you with a sheet of the table. Below is one that's usually on there, but they will give you a copy of the table.

An electrical conductor is made up of 19 strands each with a diameter of 0.0837 inches. The approximate circular mil area of the conductor is: a.105,600 circular mils
b.133,100 circular mils
c.184,200 circular mils
d.211,600 circular mils

Status
Not open for further replies.