Jumper on Main Breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stidwell

Here is the Senario....

This is a panel fed from a transformer.

The panel is operating at 120V. Based on the Picture, is this legal?

I'm almost positive that it is a total violation of the NEC

Please help me find the code sections where it is a violation

Thank you.

DSCN0874.jpg DSCN0875.jpg

stidwell

To be honest with you, I'm not sure what size the wire is...

I want to say it was a #4 or #2 at the largest...

I am unable to go back to the site and verify the wire size either.

Sorry I'm not more helpful with this.

stidwell

Other than the two wires under the one lug, I don't see a code issue.

Where would I find this in the code?

So it is perfectly legal to supply phase A and phase B with one Conductor? does this fall under the tap rules? I thought this has to be done with a jumper from the panel manufacturer or a breaker specific for this type of installation.

I don't mean to question your knowledge, but i'm trying to learn for my own benefit...

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You would, IMO, have to conform to the breaker manufacturer specs. The number and size of conductors allowed would be a part of the listing.
Using a split bolt or other means to provide two separate conductors is a matter of discussion.
(Violation of 240.21(C) tap rules, etc ??? )

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
FWIW, Square D's FAQ site says their QO/HOM 120/240V panels are not suitable for 120V only applications.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I am counting 15 ungrounded conductors and only 13 grounded conductors. Either i cant see the other two grounded conductors or two breakers do not have tie handle.

kwired

Electron manager
I see 15 breakers with conductors on them but only 12 neutral conductors on the neutral bus. With two wire supply there needs to be a neutral for every pole - no MWBC's are permitted - technically they are not possible.

Don't know if there is a tap rule violation or not since we do not know what is supplying the primary of the transformer.

kwired

Electron manager
I am counting 15 ungrounded conductors and only 13 grounded conductors. Either i cant see the other two grounded conductors or two breakers do not have tie handle.

You beat me to it. I counted again and did come up with 13 grounded. Handle ties don't matter, There is no way to connect a MWBC to a single voltage source.

hurk27

11 branch circuit neutrals and 15 branch circuits? I think we have more problems with this installation then just a doubled up wire on the main, you cant have multi-wire circuits with only one phase conductor.

hurk27

Ok I conceed there are from what I can see after blowing up the image is 12 white #12s and what looks like one black #12? along with two larger black conductor at the bottom of the neutral bar??

hurk27

You missed 2 neutrals also. they are just barely visible behind two different ungrounded conductors.

The ungrounded conductors are on the two breakers with tape on them.

Your correct, 12 whites and 2 grays, still missing one grounded as that is 14.

Had to change my contrast setting to see the gray ones better. and also enlarged to about 250%

hurk27

Ok after taking one more look I found the 15th grounded conductor, it is hid behind the second black circuit conductor on the left, if you look very close you will see it turn in line with it, so it runs right behind it to the neutral bar.

Myth busted

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

after re-reading my and other posts i realized the obvious that we cant have MWBC. :ashamed::slaphead:

stidwell

Thank you to all of you for the help....

I knew by looking at it there were several problems, but couldn't put my finger on it...

My recomendation will be to rewire the panel per code requirements...

Status
Not open for further replies.