Junction before first means of disconnect ?

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Is it code compliant to have a junction between a meter and a service panel? I don’t think I’ve ever done this in 29 years. I would like to come out of a meter base on a house then into a j box outside and transition from single conductors in conduit to SEU cable entering the house. Thank you.

nickelec

The NEC is typically silent when it comes to meter enclosures. As long as it's after the meter I don't think the utility would have an issue. I say ok.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Joe Villani

Is it code compliant to have a junction between a meter and a service panel? I don’t think I’ve ever done this in 29 years. I would like to come out of a meter base on a house then into a j box outside and transition from single conductors in conduit to SEU cable entering the house. Thank you.
I don't see any issues provided the j-box is bonded correctly and sized correctly

This is typically done with a wireway.

Depending on your method of splicing, most common method of splicing is done with "Polaris" type insulated connectors.

For the grounded conductor get a connector with an extra port to bond the enclosure.

The connectors should be rated for line side connections also. They are more readily available now

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Fine by the NEC. Utilities may not want to see anything that can't be sealed, but they are more likely to care about the line side of the meter.

Joe Villani

Thank you. I usually use plastic watertight j boxes outside. I’ve used 9x9x 41/2 for 4/0 cable junctions but never directly down stream from the meter.
A couple of things some food for thought...

Check the size of your box. Seems small.

I would have an issue with a metallic cable connector in a plastic box without some sort of bonding.

I am not aware of any 2-inch nm connectors in plastic.