Junction box study guide question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkpyke

I was using a study guide, and it came to a junction box question. I don't understand how they came up with this answer.

A junction box has 2 trade size 3 raceways entering on the left side. The conductors from one of these leave the top of the box in a trade size 3 raceway in an angle pull. The conductors from the second trade size 3 on the left wall are pulled straight through one of the trade size 2 raceways on the right. Two trade size 2 raceways enter from the right side and two trade size 3 raceways enter from the bottom. All raceways entering the bottom are angle pulls.

Now the first question states what is the distance from the left wall to the right wall? Which would be 8 x 3 = 24. I get that and agree with that.

But the second question reads what is the distance from the bottom wall to the top wall? They give an answer of 21. Should it not be 24 also going by 314.28(A)?

jumper

I was using a study guide, and it came to a junction box question. I don't understand how they came up with this answer.

A junction box has 2 trade size 3 raceways entering on the left side. The conductors from one of these leave the top of the box in a trade size 3 raceway in an angle pull. The conductors from the second trade size 3 on the left wall are pulled straight through one of the trade size 2 raceways on the right. Two trade size 2 raceways enter from the right side and two trade size 3 raceways enter from the bottom. All raceways entering the bottom are angle pulls.

Now the first question states what is the distance from the left wall to the right wall? Which would be 8 x 3 = 24. I get that and agree with that.

But the second question reads what is the distance from the bottom wall to the top wall? They give an answer of 21. Should it not be 24 also going by 314.28(A)?

(2) Angle or U Pulls, or Splices. Where splices or where
angle or U pulls are made, the distance between each raceway
entry inside the box or conduit body and the opposite
wall of the box or conduit body shall not be less than six
times the metric designator (trade size) of the largest raceway
in a row. This distance shall be increased for additional
entries by the amount of the sum of the diameters of all other
raceway entries in the same row on the same wall of the box.

(6x3")+3"=21"

403ecm06fig2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.