junctions in fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustindpc

I installed 40 lay-in fixtures and hooked them up the same way I always have,2 pieces of mc junctioned in the ballast compartment of the fixture using the provided knock-outs in the fixture. The city inspector and Fire Marshall made me mount j-boxes above and junction the individual fixture feed only in the fixture. Is this nec, local, or something else

kkwong

I assume you're talking about a troff style fluoro fixture. Last that I checked the ballast compartment was listed as a junction box. I would look at the instructions that came with the fixtures. Those instructions supercede the code in a lot of ways. I would also ask the inspectors for the code section they are quoting you. Chances are you show them the instructions that say you can do it, they won't have an issue.

kkwong

I thought about it last night and the only reference I could think of is the requirement for junction boxes for splices. This is both in the NEC and Fire Code. One would think that an Electrical Inspector would know this...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Simple question: if the troffer wiring compartment is not suitable for daisy-chaining fixtures, why on earth do the little black covers have two KO's on them? :-?

One thing, of course: the cabling must be fully circuit-size rated, and not the 18ga. whips that are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.