Just a few days left to comment on the 2026 NEC!

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Hey everyone there are just a few days left to public comment on the 2026 NEC, the 28th will be here fast, what are some changes your commenting on?
What are the best & worst changes you'd like other forum members to chime in and comment on?
How do we comment on resolved PI's or are they just gone now?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
To comment on a rejected PI, you have to propose a text change from the first draft text. If you agree with the rejected PI, just use original PI text as your second revision. Note that if you want something different from what the rejected PI said, you can't do that as new ideas are not permitted at the comment stage.

If you just want to encourage the CMP to continue to reject, there is no easy way to do that as, there is no way to submit just a comment without a text change that I know of.

Note, I am intentionally not using the politically correct term of "resolved".

I think the requirement to use listed support hardware for cable wiring methods is much too broad because of the use of the term "hardware" and also think this is change is a solution in search of a problem and there was no technical substantiation of real world issues>

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Why does it need to be updated so much. I get it if something drastic needs to be change but last 15 years beside solar updates and ev has just been dump nonsense
So everything in the 2023 code is exactly perfect? The NEC has been on a 3 year cycle for a very long time.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
So everything in the 2023 code is exactly perfect? The NEC has been on a 3 year cycle for a very long time.
No 2023 sucks 2020 sucked 2017 sucked get my point.
Just cause it done every 3 years for a long time does not mean it should be.

Been in NEC since 05 not much for safety has been improved. they just keep trying to fix the mess up they cause. It’s really a joke, and a scam

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
No 2023 sucks 2020 sucked 2017 sucked get my point.
Just cause it done every 3 years for a long time does not mean it should be.

Been in NEC since 05 not much for safety has been improved. they just keep trying to fix the mess up they cause. It’s really a joke, and a scam
There are enough new things that it needs to be done every 3 years.

As far as the code sucking, have you ever tried to do anything about that?

if it is a joke and a scam have you ever tried to get your governmental authority to write their own code??

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I think it’s crazy we only have such little time comment on it.

There are enough new things that it needs to be done every 3 years.

As far as the code sucking, have you ever tried to do anything about that?

if it is a joke and a scam have you ever tried to get your governmental authority to write their own code??
Oregon’s good they get ride of the junk most of the time

No just a complainer like most
Like Plato said
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors
Applies to this and any other form of authority.
But yes I am worse to just give it lip service.

Okay I’ll give you that new things are always coming and they need to address that.

Well maybe island and peninsula usage has stayed the same 100 years and they keep sticking there nose in non safety issues.
Hell my stove really need a gfci. Super dangerous without it.
Trust the expert there as bad as politicians

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Why does it need to be updated so much. I get it if something drastic needs to be change but last 15 years beside solar updates and ev has just been dump nonsense
So certain manufacturers have the opportunity to push requirements for new or so called improved products to be required or expand requirements associated with certain products

I won't mention AFCI or GFCI manufacturers, they certainly wouldn't do any of what I mentioned :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I can not find my 2026 PI's on the NFPA website in my account. Any help would be appreciated.
Go to
nfpa.org/70
select next edition, and then select "submit public comment online"

In the left column you click on "My Public Input/Comment/NITMANs, to view your submitted inputs or comments.

You use the same page to make public comments. If you want to see all of the PIs, you have to select "First Draft Report". To make a Public Comment, you just select the section you want to comment on in the left column. Note that the only place you see the changes in legislative format is when you are looking at the "First Draft Report".

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I kind of agree. I think there should generally be only a couple reasons for changing the code:
1) new technology or major changes in trends of what's being installed
2) actual incidents involving death, injury or fire caused by something the code failed to address

The code making panels should just reject most all of the other speculative, 'clarifying' and interest driven PIs.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Did a couple Public Comments yesterday. My Public Comment number was 1701. The number of comments has gone way down with the new system as compared to the old Report on Proposals/Draft/Report on Comments system.

shortcircuit2

I think its crazy we only have such little time comment on it.
Yes I agree. 7-weeks for comments...in the middle of the summer. Then the CMP's meet 7-weeks later in Torrance California to discuss the comments and decide on revisions. Second Draft is published March 21, 2025

Comment today if you have time. Last day.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes I agree. 7-weeks for comments...in the middle of the summer. Then the CMP's meet 7-weeks later in Torrance California to discuss the comments and decide on revisions. Second Draft is published March 21, 2025

Comment today if you have time. Last day.
Actually they will start their task group meetings to review the submitted Public Comments the first or second week of September. Much of the work is done by task groups and then reviewed and acted on by the complete panel at the second draft meetings.