Just a few days left to comment on the 2026 NEC!

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
So certain manufacturers have the opportunity to push requirements for new or so called improved products to be required or expand requirements associated with certain products

I won't mention AFCI or GFCI manufacturers, they certainly wouldn't do any of what I mentioned :)
I read overcurrents and undercurrents recently, as far as the author of that book is concerned these devices are just a natural progression for electrical safety.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Oregon’s good they get ride of the junk most of the time

No just a complainer like most
Like Plato said
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors
Applies to this and any other form of authority.
But yes I am worse to just give it lip service.

Okay I’ll give you that new things are always coming and they need to address that.

Well maybe island and peninsula usage has stayed the same 100 years and they keep sticking there nose in non safety issues.
Hell my stove really need a gfci. Super dangerous without it.
Trust the expert there as bad as politicians
Actually prior to the 1996 code there were no requirements that islands and peninsula countertops have any receptacles. They were made optional based on information from the Consumer Products Safety Commissions that said the number of incidents where children were injured by pulling on the hanging cord for appliances like crock pots and coffee pots increased a lot after the requirement to add receptacles to island and peninsula countertops were added in the 1996 code.

Now the concentration is on trying to provide receptacles, but not let them be located were it is likely the cord will hang over the edge.

The task group that was assigned this rule could not come to a recommendation as to what the receptacle requirement should be, so that will be debated by all of the members of Code Making Panel 2 starting 10/14 in Torrance, CA. With the discussion at the task group level, I would expect that the panel will spend a lot of time on this issue.