Just Passed FL Unlimited technical and Business!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dive85

Thank You to Sarina, Mike, and everyone at Mike Holt. And John and George for the prep course in Kissimmee. Passed both Exams the first time.

westernexplorer

Well Done,....... The only obstacle left now is the Electrical Contractor License Board, Review of your application and then you will be off and running.... Go party, I remember the day I passed that exam...........I just don't remember the few days after that.....LOL.

You have much to be proud of..... Congrats

RonPecinaJr

Whooo-hooo!

Celebrate brother!

Now you get to wait a few months while the state drags its feet while you wait to earn dollars. That's the boat I'm in right now. It's probably less bureaucracy in FLA than there is here!

Congratulations!!

Cavie

You can sit for the test in FL before having an application approved??

2 approvials 1 to make sure you have the backround and are worthy to take the test,. And 1 to make sure you have the $$$$ in the bank, proper insurance, workmans comp or exemption, corperation papers, and such.

westernexplorer

Yes, you can sit for the exam prior to your application being reviewed by the Florida Electrical Contractors Licensing Board. However, if you lack the proper credtials, experience, credit, net worth, good moral character, your will not be approved and you will not get a license, just because you passed the exams.

I sat in on a Board Meeting where applicants who had passed the exam, where denied a license, because they didn't have enough 3-phase experience, didn't have the 6-years experience, or had a felony conviction.

My advice is, you better make sure you are qualified, before sitting for the examination, or your wasting your time.....

The State of Maryland does the same thing, exam first and then stand before the board.....

ksmith846

Just out of curiosity.....why would you take and pass a County License if you intended to take the State Exam.

Not trying to be rude....I am just wondering why.....it took me a good bit of time and studying just to pass my Contractors' Exam and I would not want to do that twice.

I passed by Broward County Test In 2000 and took the time to get my things in order to star a business and opened in 2004. I then reciprocated with Dade,West Palm,Martin and St Lucie Counties. I figured if I could not find enough work to sustain a company in those 4 counties, what was I going to do with a State License...???

Good luck in whatever you do with your career.

westernexplorer

Ksmith,

Some people like to take the county exam as a preperation for the state exam. I took the Alabama State Electrical Contractors Exam, prior to my Florida State Electrical Contractors exam as a preperation and to pick up an additional license.

Your point is valid though, if you have a license in a large metro county, like Dade, Broward or Palm Beach, a State license don't gain you much, except for saving you a little money and the right to do alarm work. Also, you are never subject to the competency requirements of the local jurisdictions. Which I'm told can be a real headache in other parts of the State. I heard a real horror story about taking a registered electrical contractor's license from Seminole County to Orange County.

Maybe a Registered Electrical Contractor out there, will be kind enough to share a story about reciprocity....

nyerinfl

Yes, you can sit for the exam prior to your application being reviewed by the Florida Electrical Contractors Licensing Board. However, if you lack the proper credtials, experience, credit, net worth, good moral character, your will not be approved and you will not get a license, just because you passed the exams.

Most everything you said is right, but the board approval is part of the initial application process. After you send your application off it gets reviewed for all the stuff you mentioned, but until the review process is complete you can't take the test. Upon approval for every category they send you a letter in the mail, which is your ticket into the test. Now if you have a record or any issues then you could get called before the board, but I'm pretty sure it happens before the test.

jrannis

Ksmith,

Some people like to take the county exam as a preperation for the state exam. I took the Alabama State Electrical Contractors Exam, prior to my Florida State Electrical Contractors exam as a preperation and to pick up an additional license.

Your point is valid though, if you have a license in a large metro county, like Dade, Broward or Palm Beach, a State license don't gain you much, except for saving you a little money and the right to do alarm work. Also, you are never subject to the competency requirements of the local jurisdictions. Which I'm told can be a real headache in other parts of the State. I heard a real horror story about taking a registered electrical contractor's license from Seminole County to Orange County.

Maybe a Registered Electrical Contractor out there, will be kind enough to share a story about reciprocity....

One thing bad about being an ER is that you cant do alarm work for some reason

westernexplorer

nyerinfl,

The law was changed in July of 2008. You now simply pay 327.00 dollars, fill out a one page application with name date of birth and mailing address and then sit for the exam. The Board doesn't look at anything UNTIL you have passed both exams and then submitted your MOUNTAIN of paperwork, credit reports, financial statement, expereince affidavits, Job Lists showing your 40%-3-phase experience. Then they decide if your qualified to obtain a licnese.....

Like I said, anyone who decides to go for this license needs to determine before hand if they are qualifed. If you have the 6 years of experience, but can't get the employment affivdavits SIGNED by electrical contractors or don't have all your W-2's or have judgements against you, then you are wasting your time. Your experience must be DOCUMENTED. Just because you right it down on the application it will not be counted, unless you have affidavit's, tax records and other documents to back it up....

Sarina Snow

Florida State Licensing

Florida State Licensing

Congratulations! Your hard work paid off. Our entire staff is continually striving to help you with your career. Hours and hours of dedicated hard work on both our part and yours has helped you to achieve your goal. Come back for any other educational material you will need and remember we are a team!

dive85

Update.

Update.

My license was approved at the Sept. Board meeting. I used API Processing which made it an easy process for me, they knew what they were doing and it was worth every penny! Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.