Just Sat for New Mexico Masters Exam in Dallas- Some Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

naplespete57

Occupation
Project Manager in Conveyor Industry
There are three tests broken down like this: Residential, Commercial and Industrial, Specialties (Fire Alarm, Communications, Cathodic Protection). I passed the first two but have never done much in LV, Communications, Fire Alarm or Lightening-so I will have to take it again. Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Took this test at the PSI that is not at Empire 1. The Empire 1 from past experience is rude and could care less whether you are set up for success or not. The one at 1701 Collins Blvd was very professional and actually quite helpful.

The two tests that I took and passed were quite good but difficult. The following question types came up quite a bit:
1) Photo Voltaic
2) Voltage Drop
3) Service Calcs
4) Hazardous Locations.
5) Two questions on pools
6)Distance between Grounding Electrodes
7) Buss size required 366.23

Hope this helps someone!

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
following question types came up quite a bit:
.../..
2) Voltage Drop
../..

Hope this helps someone!
One thing to keep in mind in NM is voltage drop is a code requirement, not a FPN, they just put it in a different code.
There is New Mexico specific code amendment for large motors:
D. Section C405.9 Voltage drop in branch circuits supplying motors or motor driven
mechanical equipment with a rating of 50 HP and higher. Amending to read as follows: The total voltage
drop across branch circuits supplying motors or motor driven mechanical equipment with rating of 50 HP and
higher shall not exceed 5 percent.
So watch out for trick questions.
I use the NEC calculated load as the starting point., but in the case of that amendment its based on HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.