just trying to make buck

Status
Not open for further replies.

nafis

Hi every one

I have been installing a lot of fans and lights fixture lately . i was wondering if there is a market for used fans and lights fixture .

Thanks
Nafis

mdshunk

I eBay old (antique) lighting fixtures, but fans are pretty much trash unless they're an early century Emerson. Run of the mill lights are just plain trash.

mdshunk

Murphy's law says that a couple months after I throw out an older (but not antique) lighting fixture, another customer will have a need for the shade off that light I just threw out. I have considered saving some of the glassware from older lights, but I haven't done it. In my opinion, if you want to save something, save the glassware. That's the only part of an old fixture that I've ever wished I had from time to time.

peter d

mdshunk said:
but fans are pretty much trash unless they're an early century Emerson. Run of the mill lights are just plain trash.

Yeah, I can't understanding saving a fan that you can buy at the big box for $59. Of course, I just saved a few Depot cheapo lights that were practically brand new when I took them down. :roll:

mdshunk

peter d said:
Of course, I just saved a few Depot cheapo lights that were practically brand new when I took them down. :roll:
I will admit having done that before. People move into a brand new house and don't like any of the builder's fixtures. They pretty much are brand new. I gave a bunch like that to my church one time for a big yard sale some of the women were having.

Sparky555

I had the same idea & recently saved some heavy glass from a ceiling fan. I put them in the back of the truck & when I got back to the shop they were broken.

Dave

tmbrk

mdshunk said:
I will admit having done that before. People move into a brand new house and don't like any of the builder's fixtures. They pretty much are brand new. I gave a bunch like that to my church one time for a big yard sale some of the women were having.

That's probably the best thing you can do with them. At least they will benefit from them. Most guys (including myself) would have thrown them away without thinking of that.

Sparky555 said:
I had the same idea & recently saved some heavy glass from a ceiling fan. I put them in the back of the truck & when I got back to the shop they were broken.

I had a GC not to long ago give me some pieces of marble that he took down from around a fireplace. Maybe 5"x36"x1" thick. He asked if I wanted them I said sure. By the time I got them back to the shop they'd broken.

iaov

I've had customers wrap the old fans up very neatly for me and "give" them to me like they were some sort of X-mass present. They go to the dump stiil neatly packaged.:D

mdshunk

iaov said:
I've had customers wrap the old fans up very neatly for me and "give" them to me like they were some sort of X-mass present. They go to the dump still neatly packaged.:D
The other extreme is the people who start to get ticked off when you don't keep track of every little screw out of the thing, or get upset when you set it down like the piece of junk that it is. They apparently think it's valuable, even though it probably cost 40 dollars in 1987.

norcal

Value of old Chinese/other "offshore" fans?? Bust off the blades & trash em, then pile them up after they annoy you & or have a nice pile then sell them to scrap yard as electric motors.:D

Reusing old ceiling fans is not on my list of fun things to almost less of a hassle to drop a anvil on my toe.$crap em...........

Status
Not open for further replies.