Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
A little more about this house.

This house will be 100 yrs old next year
Electrical panel in the basement is a fuse panel and has conduit & BX only
Electrical Inspection sticker 10/26/1959
Some K & T has been replaced in the basement

I have enjoyed all of the posts in this thread and I look forward to more.

The prospective buyer has asked me to price changing out the panel and correcting some other more blatant issues.

e57

Here we go with the story telling which I am the bad guy and you are the shining knight hero. Go figure it would turn out that way.

You should get a job writing soap operas.

Here let me make up a story ---- If the house burns down tomorrow and kills somebody ------- you are a fool and a murderer.

It is obvious your knowledge prevents you from seeing clearly.
OK - I'll say it again - and again if you like.... And I see no need to write you a soap opera, and you should not feel you need to create one either.
My point is you need to be objective - a building with any energized wire is an electrical fire hazard...
Personally - I have no issue with you, but you seem to willingly believe the hype on K&T, and it poses no more REAL danger than NM. (When properly installed, and in a satifactory condition.) In fact I will go so far as to say certain eras of NM conctruction are more hazardous. Spring style wirenuts on MWBC's are more of a fire danger IMO.

Pulled some wire out of a commercial service I was upgrading. The wire was 3/0. When we pulled it out it was real stiff. I stripped 3' and it was discolored dark red blue.

My point. Electricity flowing through wire changes the molecular structure.

I don't know how it changes it but I am pretty sure it isn't better.

I don't know if copper purity was better back then or not.

I am not a metallurgist and cannot prove this.
It may have been hard drawn - much of that is 'redder' and darker, and yes stiffer than medium drawn or normal soft copper. Typical for larger conductors as well.

And depending on the degree - it could be oxidized from REALLY HIGH heat - a short circuit or really high long term current. It would turn red or black - somertimes pitted and white with red under it... But under most uses - it will not change at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.