Keeping appliances unplugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I just got my bill N.Y., and the service charge is larger than my usage on gas and elec. so I'll keep my beer cold my house warm and run any thing I feel like. I try to save and end up paying a higher service charge! $150+ for g/s and $56 is what I used, the rest is tax and service charges.

Rampage_Rick

I've got a 1100 sq-ft rancher with a propane furnace. I worked the numbers and it's cheaper for me to heat with a couple electric space heaters, and use the furnace as back-up. My daily average over the winter is 50 kWh, and I only use one 420lb tank of propane each winter.

A few weeks back I had free access to over a dozen half-full 20lb BBQ tanks. I disconnected the 420lb tank behind my house and used a 4-foot POL extension hose to connect to the 20lb tanks lined in a row. Each half-full tank lasts about 24 hours. With my space heaters off my daily average dropped to 20 kWh, meaning I saved about $3 per day. Two weeks of savings made it worth my while. I'm back on electric heat, and the 20% left in my 420lb tank should see me through the end of April.

For the record I've also got a 40gal electric water heater set to 120?, one 46" LCD TV, one 110" projector TV, and 6 STBs. My computer runs 24x7 but my twin 24" monitors shut off after 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.