Keeping your crew and yourself safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon B

Occupation
electrician.
I’ve been working for this company for six years, I’ve graduated from apprentice to journeyman with this company. I have a great deal of respect and loyalty to one of our project managers he has been a family friend since before I was born but over the years I’ve realized that our procedures when it comes to safety aren’t up to par. I’m a young journeyman and I do my best to keep my crew safe, I don’t expect anyone to do things that I wouldn’t do. A few times I’ve been put into situations that I felt were unsafe. Most recently I was sent an arc flash suit without hot gloves so I asked for a pair. I needed the suit and gloves to perform some work on a 2000amp switchgear during a shut down. Our shut down was scheduled to start at midnight and was a two hour drive from our office. I arrived on site and hour early and began to set up. I tested the gloves I was sent and found pin holes in each rubber glove on the finger tips. I started to inspect the gloves more and realized these gloves had never been tested. No stamped date of testing nothing. I told the supervisor for the company we were doing the work for and he shut us down. My company wasn’t happy about this, they blamed me for opening my mouth. The work we had to do was on the load side of the main breaker and we were going to open the breaker. technically it wasn’t “hot” work so they didn’t understand why it was a big deal that the gloves failed my test. They said “If so and so was on that job he would have done it no problem.” This is a fourth generation company and I feel that they are stuck in their ways. Is it worth sticking around and fighting to help keep myself and our crew safe or do I walk away? As I said before I’m extremely loyal to the guy that gave me this opportunity, he’s opened a lot of doors for me. I don’t want to leave on bad terms. Any thoughts? Appreciate the feed back.

Brandon B

Occupation
electrician.
I agree. Not saying they won’t give me the right equipment. In this situation there was no time to fix the mistake, the blame was just pushed to me. If there was more time I would have been given the proper equipment. I would have thought that the equipment they did send would have been at least looked over before being sent to me. Things like this shouldn’t be slipping through the cracks.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
Unfortunately that’s the sad side of this trade. Pretty much everything about our work involves risk. Normally employers will turn the blind eye and let you do whatever you’re willing to do to get the job done for them. Were all guilty of takings shortcuts when we’re in a rush to get something done a little quicker. Bottom line is you are ultimately responsible for your safety and have to make those decisions accordingly.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The line side is still energized inside the same enclosure.
Thus giving both a possibility of high voltage contact (hence the gloves) and a distinct chance of an arc flash if something hits the line side conductors (hence the rest of the flash suit.)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
It is considered live by OSHA until proven otherwise by testing with a proper meter, not a suicide stick.
I still not understanding the situation. If the main is opened for the shutdown why couldn’t the bank be de-energized on the supply side?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It is either live work or it's not. If it's not live work then you don't need the suit or the gloves. I don't understand why you think you need the suit but not the gloves.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
You must wear the suit and gloves until it is verified de-energized. I have had mains where one blade was stuck, and did not totally de-energize.
I know that.
You didn’t read my post..
Why can’t the bank supplying the power to the line side be shut down if you have the main open?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
You still have to verify regardless, once verified, then PPE can be removed.
Ok, kill the bank and verify?
Again, I’m not there and don’t know the scenario, which is why I’m asking...
Does the POCO source feed something else besides the main your on?
What I’m saying is if that’s the case, kill the source and verify.
If not, suit up..

oldsparky52

The work we had to do was on the load side of the main breaker and we were going to open the breaker. technically it wasn’t “hot” work so they didn’t understand why it was a big deal that the gloves failed my test.
The line side is still energized inside the same enclosure.
Just to be clear, the conductors feeding the switchgear land on the line side of the main breaker you are turning off? There is no kind of busbar still energized is there?

Are we talking 480/277?

I never worked on this type of gear, just curious.

BTW, YOU and only you can keep yourself safe. I trust your judgement as I was not there.

oldsparky52

This is a fourth generation company and I feel that they are stuck in their ways. Is it worth sticking around and fighting to help keep myself and our crew safe or do I walk away? As I said before I’m extremely loyal to the guy that gave me this opportunity, he’s opened a lot of doors for me. I don’t want to leave on bad terms. Any thoughts? Appreciate the feed back.
They may be stuck in their ways. I suggest you have a discussion with them (doesn't need to be confrontational, if fact is shouldn't be) and if you and they cannot come to an understanding, ... time for a new employer.

Status
Not open for further replies.