keyless light

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a friend who was trying to get a then end of a bulb that was stuck in a keyless light fixture he thought the breaker was of when he went to pull out the end of the bulb it ark and shorted the circuit so i went to replace the ficture with anouther keyless holder when it cam time to flipping on the breaker i could not trace the bracker i fliped every breaker in the panel and it still wont go on none of the breakeres are in the triped position...i went to trace the homerun back to the panel but could not locate it bc its feed from anouther room ..the light is in the same room as the panel ..any ideas

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This is probably a good time to enlist the expertise of a more experienced electrician.

Your friend has caused a problem that could be inside a wall or ceiling and has the potential to be very dangerous, this is not the type of situation to be learning how to repair or use test and locating type of equipment on an internet forum.

Roger

mivey

This is probably a good time to enlist the expertise of a more experienced electrician.

Your friend has caused a problem that could be inside a wall or ceiling and has the potential to be very dangerous, this is not the type of situation to be learning how to repair or use test and locating type of equipment on an internet forum.

Roger
I would say the friend has exposed an existing problem rather than causing a problem. A short like that shouldn't cause severe damage if the circuit is protected. If it was bad enough, I would think the breaker would trip.

It might be a loose wire on a receptacle. I would guess another light but I can't imagine they would hit a light in a room further from the panel then come back. It might make sense that they hit a receptacle in the room before the light. But you never know.

Also, if the OP did not verify the breaker was off, how safe is that?

Speaking of breakers, maybe there is a different panel somewhere in the house. I find a lot of panels in old houses that used to be the main panel that are now being sub-fed from the new main panel.

PS to the OP: Think about what would happen if something was "off" because of a loose wire. Then suppose you started working on it and jiggled the open connection back to a closed connection with the wire in your hand. Be safe.

Last edited:
i asked their are no subpanels in the house i belive they hit a plug inanouther romm then came into the furnace room its a steady hot bc it was on a pull chain befor i think i should see what else is not working plugs/lights.. if i cant locate the breacker then run a new circuit to the light cap off the wires init and put a switch on the wall so theyl have light and when thetime is rite to trouble shoot the short they can do it

jumper

RJ 101, running a new circuit without disconnecting the original circuit will only leave the original problem in a condition to cause potential damage.

Heed Roger's advice in post #6 and get a more experienced person to help.

I understand that you would like to help your friend, but I believe you are in over your head.

OregonSE

Roger

Amen!

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Capping off existing wiring and running new is not desirable.

If you have time and desire keep working until you find the problem, I've had several that took a day to find. The more experienced electricians mentioned in other posts started out as inexperienced electricians.

mivey

i asked their are no subpanels in the house i belive they hit a plug inanouther romm then came into the furnace room its a steady hot bc it was on a pull chain befor i think i should see what else is not working plugs/lights..
Look for a receptacle that is used a lot or has a heavy load. A lot of times those will develop a loose wire and the feed-through will fail.
if i cant locate the breacker then run a new circuit to the light cap off the wires init
I would use that as a last resort.
...put a switch on the wall so theyl have light
That is a great up-sell and the right thing to do. I hate pull-chains although they have their uses.
and when thetime is rite to trouble shoot the short...
No time like the present. Get it done.

i will look for a recepitale that has a loose connection. or gfi that triped..when a circuit arks bc a hot is touching something thats is grounded the ocp shoot trip rite. im going their on mon ill let u no what i find .im thinking its a gfi somewhere ...thank u for ure time

Look for a receptacle that is used a lot or has a heavy load. A lot of times those will develop a loose wire and the feed-through will fail.
I would use that as a last resort.
That is a great up-sell and the right thing to do. I hate pull-chains although they have their uses.
No time like the present. Get it done.
how if theires a loose connection on a plug will that cause the rest of the circuit to open most plugs are wired in parrael..not series

Status
Not open for further replies.