Kitchen Dishwasher in 2014 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
2014 NEC in 210.8(D) to have GFCI protection the Kitchen Dishwasher Outlet.
Comment/questions
I don't see this restricted to dwelling units, am I correct on this?
What is there is no outlet - IE come out of wall with NM cable go straight to the DW? If no outlet does it require GFCI protection?
Dwelling units require AFCI protection for Kitchens, how can we get AFCI of the outlet and GFCI protection also?

210.8 (A) and (B) have 125 V single phase, 15 and 20 ampere receptacle language, 210.8(C) is for 240 volt outlets. It appears the intent was to protect the branch circuit but this may require a GFCI blank face receptacle feeding the dishwasher "outlet".

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
As I read 210.8(D) I see that gfci will be required no matter if there is a receptacle or not. The outlet would be the jb on the dishwasher, IMO. This is restricted to dwellings and requires gfci even if direct wired

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The following is from Errata #2 for the first edition of the 2014 NEC.
1. In 210.8 change the reference in the first sentence from: ?210.8(A) through (C)? to ?210.8(A) through (D).?
This will require that the GFCI device for the dishwasher be installed in a readily accessible location.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The following is from Errata #2 for the first edition of the 2014 NEC.

This will require that the GFCI device for the dishwasher be installed in a readily accessible location.

I just assumed that as most gfci's need to be readily accessible. Good to know about the errata

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I just assumed that as most gfci's need to be readily accessible. Good to know about the errata
Before the issued the errata, it was very clear that the newly required dishwasher GFCI did not have to be readily accessible. The rule in 210.8 that requires the GFCIs to be readily accessible only applies as specifically stated in that rule, that is prior the the errata, it only applied to the GFCIs required by 210.8 (A) through (C). It does not apply to GFCIs that are required by other code rules, however in the 2014 code, some of those other rules have been changed to require those GFCIs to be readily accessible.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Before the issued the errata, it was very clear that the newly required dishwasher GFCI did not have to be readily accessible. The rule in 210.8 that requires the GFCIs to be readily accessible only applies as specifically stated in that rule, that is prior the the errata, it only applied to the GFCIs required by 210.8 (A) through (C). It does not apply to GFCIs that are required by other code rules, however in the 2014 code, some of those other rules have been changed to require those GFCIs to be readily accessible.

This is why I said I assumed. It appears that the gfci is almost across the board to be readily accessible. It really makes sense. Can you imagine the gfci behind the dishwasher?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
This is why I said I assumed. It appears that the gfci is almost across the board to be readily accessible. It really makes sense. Can you imagine the gfci behind the dishwasher?

Can you imagine an even worse spot?:huh:

I had a call a while back that some lights and a receptacle for a sump pump wasn't working under a house.
Turns out there was a GFCI receptacle under the house (load side fed the non-working items) below a spa that was in the bathroom. You had to crawl way back under the house and wiggle you're way up between the floor joists to get to it!:rant:

Guess who got a brand new GFCI breaker after that?:thumbsup::)

crtemp

Is a dishwasher really an outlet or a device? Is it really required to be AFCI? Here in Washington we are only required to AFCI bedrooms (so far).

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is a dishwasher really an outlet or a device? Is it really required to be AFCI? Here in Washington we are only required to AFCI bedrooms (so far).
A dishwasher is utilization equipment, and the point on wiring system from which it gets its power, whether via plug and receptacle or hard wiring, is an outlet.
It is also an appliance.
The first thing I think of when I hear "device" is something which gets mounted via a yoke into a junction box, switch box, or outlet box.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Do all 120 V kitchen circuits require AFCI protection in 2014? If so, thats it I quit. I had a good run in the trade, time to move on.....
The sad and bitter truth is.....well lets move into this slow and easy.
Are you in a posisition to take up full retirement? If not, what is it you have your mind set on for another career?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Given that most of the GFCIs are required by 210.8 and that the accessibility rule applied to the GFCIs required by that section, yes most GFCIs were required to be readily accessible. Prior to the 2014 code GFCIs required by other code sections were not required to be readily accessible, for example the vending machine GFCI was not required, by the 2011 code, to be readily accessible.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Given that most of the GFCIs are required by 210.8 and that the accessibility rule applied to the GFCIs required by that section, yes most GFCIs were required to be readily accessible. Prior to the 2014 code GFCIs required by other code sections were not required to be readily accessible, for example the vending machine GFCI was not required, by the 2011 code, to be readily accessible.

Yes I got that. You were the one that enlightened me about that quite a while ago. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.