Kitchen GFCI Receptacles on same circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Yes it is. But you still need a second 20 amp circuit to supply other kitchen countertop outlets.

480sparky

As charlie mentioned, you'll need at least one more SABC to feed a minimum of one more receptacle service the countertop.

Also, you would not line-load protect the 2nd GFCI off the first.

Fnewman

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Engineering Manager at Larson Engineering
As charlie mentioned, you'll need at least one more SABC to feed a minimum of one more receptacle service the countertop.

Also, you would not line-load protect the 2nd GFCI off the first.
Yet, I find them improperly connected all the time. It works, but the homeowner has to learn to reset them in the proper order.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Yet, I find them improperly connected all the time. It works, but the homeowner has to learn to reset them in the proper order.

This comment leads me to believe that if the GFCI's would be installed only where necessary then resetting in some order would not be an issue. (why are they wasting money installing GFCI's one after the other when you could just feed the other receptacles from load side of one GFCI. To lazy to take time to figure out where things are going.)

kwired

Electron manager
Some people install all GFI's on countertop just for cosmetics. They are confused about the proper wiring.
Connecting to line side terminals only would be wise when doing that. With newer GFCI's and use of the load side terminals, you still need to figure out which leads are line and which are load or you never will get it to reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.