Kitchen Island Receptacle through Slab

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank_n

Are you just making a shallow groove in the concrete deep enough for the raceway? If so you'll only need to be deep enough to conceal the raceway. Table 300.5 would not apply.

If Table 300.5 would not apply, what would? If I channel through the slab, I am out of the building, however if I channel deep enough to just cover the raceway I am in the building. Well, if I am in the building, what code allows me to do this?

480sparky

If Table 300.5 would not apply, what would? If I channel through the slab, I am out of the building, however if I channel deep enough to just cover the raceway I am in the building. Well, if I am in the building, what code allows me to do this?

I see being 'in' the floor as still being 'in' the building the same was I see being 'in' the wall as being 'in' the building.

frank_n

I see being 'in' the floor as still being 'in' the building the same was I see being 'in' the wall as being 'in' the building.

That's the way I see it. Some recommend cutting a channel just deep enough to cover the raceway. What part of the code allows this?

Frank

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That's the way I see it. Some recommend cutting a channel just deep enough to cover the raceway. What part of the code allows this?

Frank

The better question is what code section would prohibit this. I can't think of any.

iwire

Staff member

Frank

Frank lets say this slab is on the second floor and I run conduits in it before the pour, how deep would I have to be in this slab?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Its on the ground, why would it be post tension?
One reason a post-tensioned slab on grade might be used is to deal with expansive soils, that is soils which significantly change volume according to their moisture content. A big problem in certain parts of the country.

Cheers, Wayne

macmikeman

A post tensioned slab on a dwelling? Maybe somebody's McMansion someplace probably does have one. I have had to channel on remodels many times and just poured concrete over top of the pvc. It has always passed inspection and this area can be tough on things like that sometimes. Another thing I did once was to run uf in a shallow trench out to an island and then I covered the uf with a 12 guage 1.5 inch steel plate strip all the way across. The flooring contractor who installed sheet linoleum on the floor put a heavy coat of his leveling goop over the slot first. All systems go until this day and I know cause its my wife's cousin's house.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Depending on how well covered the conduit will be, 352.12(C), 300.4, and/or 300.4(F) may come into play.

For PVC you might be close with 300.4(F). I don't think that 300.4(F) takes into account a conduit embedded in some sort of concrete.

macmikeman

I don't think even the homeowners from the HGTB channel hang very many family pictures up on the floor anyhow....... Chance of physical damage to conduit buried in shallow chase in floor is much less than same deal in shallow chase in wall.

eprice

For PVC you might be close with 300.4(F). I don't think that 300.4(F) takes into account a conduit embedded in some sort of concrete.

Yes it would depend on how well covered the conduit is. Shallow enough and I could see some concern for damage to schedule 40 PVC from something like a chair leg if the concrete is thin enough that it won't stand up over time. The OP is talking about bringing a circuit to an island, so it is likely that chairs will be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.