Kitchen island receptacles in finished cabinet ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I am looking at a kitchen remodel. There will be a large island that requires small appliance receptacles on both ends. The customer is using Ikea cabinets. They want the receptacles and switches installed in sides of the finished cabinets. This will require cutting boxes in the side of the cabinets and running wires within the cabinets.

I have done this before but do not like this install.

I suggested constructing a wall at each end to accommodate receptacles and switches. They are not interested.

Anyway, is anyone else out there bothered by this type of installation in finished cabinets?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
The customer is using Ikea cabinets.

I suggested constructing a wall at each end to accommodate receptacles and switches. They are not interested.

Anyway, is anyone else out there bothered by this type of installation in finished cabinets?

Wiring inside and on cabinetry is challenging when it is custom built and the electrician can get mechanical space allowed in the initial construction of the cabinet.

With cookie cutter Ikea cabinets, the box volume required by the NEC and the wiring physical protection will be especially difficult and takes a lot more time to accomplish. Also, the tightness of the Ikea construction will make some locations simply impossible to mount electrical.

When an aesthetic or budget required by the principles of the kitchen remodel can't afford the labor of the electrical, then the project is flawed fundamentally.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My current job has an island where they are installing 6" wide bookshelves on each end. They will be boxing in a small section for a receptacle facing in the cabinet door direction.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would tell them I'll install them for, say, $100 each, plus whatever it takes to get the power to them from below, or suggest they call a finish carpenter to cut the openings.

Depending on wood thickness and back space, a shallow metal box with an angle connector in the back for 1/2" flex w/NM cable, or 12-2 MC (to a metal J-box in crawl space).

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
I thought Ikea has what's needed for what you are looking to do? And w/o knowing exactly what the cabinet island looks like its hard to recommend stuff. 24" deep cabs on ends usually have drawers making it more difficult to add a box, but sometimes its ez to get shorter top drawer to get the space needed.

But, some ideas
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/278660295668007793/

Status
Not open for further replies.