Kitchen? Or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Couple pix I took at a current job:

DSC_2972b.jpg

DSC_2973b.jpg

The kitchen, dinette and living room is one large, open space. The unfinished knee wall the the lower left of the first photo will have the sink, DW and trash compactor.

My question is: From the base cabinet with the DeWalt drill sitting on it and to the left of that (I marked with blue 'spray paint').... would you consider that row of cabinets part of the kitchen?

Occupation
Inspector
Couple pix I took at a current job:
The kitchen, dinette and living room is one large, open space. The unfinished knee wall the the lower left of the first photo will have the sink, DW and trash compactor.

My question is: From the base cabinet with the DeWalt drill sitting on it and to the left of that (I marked with blue 'spray paint').... would you consider that row of cabinets part of the kitchen?

I would consider that part of the Kitchen, at first blush.

Last edited by a moderator:

480sparky

I would look at the prints. Based on your post stating that the kitchen and dining are one large open area.
Then I would make my determination.

But the cabinets don't extend into the dinette area. They are into the living room.

Here's a photo before the project started:
DSC_2321b.jpg

The peninsula on the right is now the island. To the right of that is the dinette area. The desk (marked with blue 'spray paint') is the same as what's pictured above. I'm standing in the living room taking this photo.

The wall to the right of the desk has been removed.

Here's a quick 'drawing':

kitchen.jpg

Last edited:

Occupation
Inspector
But the cabinets don't extend into the dinette area. They are into the living room.

Here's a photo before the project started:

The peninsula on the right is now the island. To the right of that is the dinette area. The desk (marked with blue 'spray paint') is the same as what's pictured above. I'm standing in the living room taking this photo.

The wall to the right of the desk has been removed.

I don't know if I can have both ways, this photo I would say it is NOT part of the Kitchen. With the wall removed ,to me, makes it part of the Kitchen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so it is in the living room area, not the dining area. I would still look at the prints to see what the architect has labeled them, then make my determination.

I guess you may be looking for a different answer.
It is difficult sometimes on the site to make determinations, let alone seeing them in pictures.

Houses have changed enough over the years, that some of the things we saw as standard, are no longer cut-and-dry.

480sparky

I don't know if I can have both ways, this photo I would say it is NOT part of the Kitchen. With the wall removed ,to me, makes it part of the Kitchen.

The photo with the wall is the only one I have from the angle that helps understand the space.

I have a reason for asking, and it's something I didn't catch when I roughed this in. Anyone see my dilemma? (ie: code violation)

KevinVost

The photo with the wall is the only one I have from the angle that helps understand the space.

I have a reason for asking, and it's something I didn't catch when I roughed this in. Anyone see my dilemma? (ie: code violation)

Is the dilemma a point along the wall that is more than 24" from a recepticle?

Karl H

The drawing defines the area. The violation is recept spacing for the
counter-top? I see the switches for the GD and trash compactor and the
other switches are probably general light switches. Just a guess.

viclibo

That is definitely part of the kitchen. The cabinets are all the same and it extends off the rest of the kitchen. Why are you even asking?

480sparky

Is the dilemma a point along the wall that is more than 24" from a recepticle?

Bingo!
flair.gif

I never caught the c'top extending to the front edge of the 24" deep oven cabinet. There's two 2x4s at the corner of the wall, then the PVC central vac line. So my first recep is about 28-30" from the end of the c-top. So the recep I do have is as far to the right as it will ever get.

Cutting a recep into the oven cabinet isn't an option, as the oven will have nearly zero clearance and thus no depth for a box.

The drawing defines the area. The violation is recept spacing for the
counter-top? I see the switches for the GD and trash compactor and the
other switches are probably general light switches. Just a guess.

No sink or anything there.... it is just c'top. What's there is mostly existing switches for the LR and kitchen lights. I just added a couple receps across the space, and one switch for UC lights.

KevinVost

Is there an undercounter light that is not switched, that you could possibly get a strip outlet assembly hooked too (and provide a GFI breaker) and run it under the upper cabinet? (I see a wire?? hanging down in the area.)

480sparky

Is there an undercounter light that is not switched, that you could possibly get a strip outlet assembly hooked too (and provide a GFI breaker) and run it under the upper cabinet? (I see a wire?? hanging down in the area.)

No. UC lights are lo-volts. Transformer is on top of uppers.

KevinVost

I see your problem. I could go either way on the determination. The cabinets are continuous and there is no real break in the area so could say it's part of the kitchen, on the other hand the area in question is open to the living area so........:-?

It would be ugly but, what about a doghouse (I don't know the right term for it) w/recepticle on the counter top within 24" of the end?

480sparky

I see your problem. I could go either way on the determination. The cabinets are continuous and there is no real break in the area so could say it's part of the kitchen, on the other hand the area in question is open to the living area so........:-?

It would be ugly but, what about a doghouse (I don't know the right term for it) w/recepticle on the counter top within 24" of the end?

I doubt the inspector will make an issue of it. That is, if he even notices it. If he doesn they're pretty good at letting minor stuff like this slide. I just thought I'd post it as an exercise in interpretation.

Push comes to shove, there's a circuit under the oven for a warming drawer I could come from if I need another recep.

Status
Not open for further replies.