Kitchen? Or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinVost

I doubt the inspector will make an issue of it. That is, if he even notices it. If he doesn they're pretty good at letting minor stuff like this slide. I just thought I'd post it as an exercise in interpretation.

Push comes to shove, there's a circuit under the oven for a warming drawer I could come from if I need another recep.

Good luck :smile:, hopefully he'll see things your way.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
It would be ugly but, what about a doghouse (I don't know the right term for it) w/recepticle on the counter top within 24" of the end?

If I understand you term dog house (also like appliance garage) I see in the MH books they don't count toward the counter receps anyway...is this true? I couldn't find anything in the code that would really back it up.

480sparky

If I understand you term dog house (also like appliance garage) I see in the MH books they don't count toward the counter receps anyway...is this true? I couldn't find anything in the code that would really back it up.

Appliance garages generally cover the wall between the c'top and uppers, so the wall spaces on either side are considered separated.

I've never head the term 'dog house', but I was thinking of the type that's in a metal housing that sticks up, like a floor receptacle that's not recessed. Kinda like what you see under desks in a commerical setting.

quogueelectric

By me a kitchen seems to be defined by an oven without an oven we call it a pantry so we burry the range cable in the wall and hook it up after final.

KevinVost

Appliance garages generally cover the wall between the c'top and uppers, so the wall spaces on either side are considered separated.

I've never head the term 'dog house', but I was thinking of the type that's in a metal housing that sticks up, like a floor receptacle that's not recessed. Kinda like what you see under desks in a commerical setting.

That is exactly what it is. (dog house)

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician

I've never head the term 'dog house', but I was thinking of the type that's in a metal housing that sticks up, like a floor receptacle that's not recessed. Kinda like what you see under desks in a commerical setting.[
/quote]

Ok that makes sense. If the appliance garage covers the whole wall etc. I see how it would split the countertop and would have separate sides.

I hope you don't have to put one in the counter...I think it's going to look horrible...........................................yeah I'm sure of it now...not a kitchen.. :D

ericsherman37

Forgive me if someone already posted this, I didn't read the whole thread.

It looks like this cabinet would be used for a buffet line kind of thing. Hot plates or fondue pots or whatever. As far as the receptacles go, I'd consider it part of the kitchen.

resistance

Couple pix I took at a current job:
The kitchen, dinette and living room is one large, open space. The unfinished knee wall the the lower left of the first photo will have the sink, DW and trash compactor.

My question is: From the base cabinet with the DeWalt drill sitting on it and to the left of that (I marked with blue 'spray paint').... would you consider that row of cabinets part of the kitchen?
I'm voting kitchen--basing my vote on the peninsula location, and the cabinet layout. Yet, the prints will tell us more.

Just seeing a portion of the space. I can truthfully say the portions presented look exactly like a house we've been waiting to do for over 1 year now. The home is 7000sq feet.

Last edited by a moderator:

480sparky

.......... I can truthfully say the portions presented look exactly like a house we've been waiting to do for over 1 year now. The home is 7000sq feet.

Sorry... I didn't know this was your job! Better luck next time!
mw_rolleyes.gif

C3PO

I would vote it is part of the kitchen, but that being said most inspectors around here would let you slide on your first rec being 4" to 8" over too far given your situation.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
A REQUEST:

Can we please get out of the habit of quoting a previous post and including, yet again, the photos in that post? Hit the QUOTE button, but delete the photos, before you type your comment. Posting the same photo again and again is a waste of space, puts the thread into extra pages, makes it take longer to read, and costs those using slower internet services a lot of extra downloading time.

Thanks for your consideration.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.