Kitchen Receptacle for Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electricalhelp

If a island in the Kitchen is 8ft long which has a dishwasher and sink, can I just show a receptacle for the dishwasher and 1 Counter Receptacle by code

Attachments

• Kitchen.JPG
    Kitchen.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 1

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
An island only requires one receptacle to serve the counter top unless the sink has a space behind it of less than 12". If less than 12" the it's considered two separate spaces and requires two receptacles.

Electricalhelp

An island only requires one receptacle to serve the counter top unless the sink has a space behind it of less than 12". If less than 12" the it's considered two separate spaces and requires two receptacles.

The distance behind the sink is 12". So you mean I need to add another receptacle on the left side of the dishwasher.

Also, how many kitchen receptacles can I connect on the 2 Mandatory Kitchen Outlet to show 1500W on a Panel Schedule.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The distance behind the sink is 12". So you mean I need to add another receptacle on the left side of the dishwasher.

Also, how many kitchen receptacles can I connect on the 2 Mandatory Kitchen Outlet to show 1500W on a Panel Schedule.

Since you're at exactly 12" only one receptacle is required. There is no limit as to how many receptacles you can put on the two required SABC's.

210.52(C)(4) Separate Spaces. Countertop spaces separated by
rangetops, refrigerators, or sinks shall be considered as
separate countertop spaces in applying the requirements of
210.52(C)(1). If a range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or
sink is installed in an island or peninsular countertop and
the depth of the countertop behind the range, counter-
mounted cooking unit, or sink is less than 300 mm (12 in.),
the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink shall be
considered to divide the countertop space into two separate
countertop spaces.
Each separate countertop space shall
comply with the applicable requirements in 210.52(C).

Status
Not open for further replies.