Kitchen Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIC1958

2005 NEC, looking through previous post and the code, I cant seem to find if this install is correct. All kitchen counter receptacles are being fed from two 20 amp circuits directly from the service panel. The single receptacle for the island receptacle is being fed from the load side of a 20 amp GFI receptacle located in the basement which has no other outlets and is being fed directly from the service panel. My question is, Does this island receptacle have to fed from one of the two required 20 amp circuits that are required under 210.52 (B)(1)?

iwire

Staff member
2005 NEC, looking through previous post and the code, I cant seem to find if this install is correct. All kitchen counter receptacles are being fed from two 20 amp circuits directly from the service panel. The single receptacle for the island receptacle is being fed from the load side of a 20 amp GFI receptacle located in the basement which has no other outlets and is being fed directly from the service panel. My question is, Does this island receptacle have to fed from one of the two required 20 amp circuits that are required under 210.52 (B)(1)?

The island has to be fed from a small appliance circuit. It could be one of the two or it can be another but it can't feed an outlet in the basement.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The island has to be fed from a small appliance circuit. It could be one of the two or it can be another but it can't feed an outlet in the basement.

Actually it sounds like the outlet in the basement is feeding the Island. :)

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The single receptacle for the island receptacle is being fed from the load side of a 20 amp GFI receptacle located in the basement

iwire

Staff member

By the way, if the purpose of the basement GFCI outlet is to provide GFCI protection to the single island receptacle an easy way to make things code compliant would be to swap the GFCI outlet with a faceless GFCI.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
IF it is on a dedicated circuit I'd put it on a GFI Breaker in the panel so if it trips you don't have to go down into the basement to reset it.
That is if the Panel's not already in the basement. :)

JAP>

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
By the way, if the purpose of the basement GFCI outlet is to provide GFCI protection to the single island receptacle an easy way to make things code compliant would be to swap the GFCI outlet with a faceless GFCI.

There are some on the forum (not I) who assert that either a switch or a faceless GFCI constitutes an outlet under the NEC definition.
AFAIK no AHJs do though.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
There are some on the forum (not I) who assert that either a switch or a faceless GFCI constitutes an outlet under the NEC definition.
AFAIK no AHJs do though.
I know, I think those that feel that way are mistaken.
Heh!! And I just mentioned jeff4322 (creator of the Big Oops. . .Need Suggestions thread) in another post. . . .

Setting aside the definition of Outlet debate, I agree that the basement GFCI, if it is a receptacle, is not allowed on a small appliance branch circuit per 2005 NEC 210.52(B).

Status
Not open for further replies.