Kitchen SABC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

For residential kitchens, is there a Code regulation that says that adjacent receptacles along the same wall need to be on the opposite SABC? If not, I would propose such a rule, and here's why: Suppose you have a countertop area that's 7' long. There are 3 outlets on the wall for small appliances. If they're all on the same circuit, it wouldn't take much to trip the breaker if an air fryer and a vegetable steamer are both used at the same time, even if plugged into separate outlets along the wall.

In fact, I would not only propose that the outlets need to be wired in an A, B, A, B fashion as above, but they should also be on opposite legs in the service panel to balance the load between L1 and L2. I always wire kitchens this way in new houses and remodel projects.

Any thoughts on this?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Make the proposal, or public input, in the topic "proposals for the next code cycle".You have some time to make a proposal for the 2023 code. you will need to state the reason why. I don't feel your proposal has adequate substantiation.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No such rule exists. You could put one receptacle on circuit A and all of the rest on circuit B as long as there are at least two circuits. This is a design issue so you're free to set it up anyway that you want in the field. IMO alternating should definitely not be a code requirement. If two adjacent receptacles on the same circuit are overloaded the OCPD will do it's job and trip.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Jeff, while I do try to pair up circuits when making up the panel aimed toward better line-to-line balance, there's no one kitchen setup, or knowing where a resident might place each appliance.

I will attempt to make educated placement guesses, but I don't alternate circuits. If there is a real concern about what will end up being an appliance gathering place, then supply more circuits.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
[
For residential kitchens, is there a Code regulation that says that adjacent receptacles along the same wall need to be on the opposite SABC? If not, I would propose such a rule, and here's why: Suppose you have a countertop area that's 7' long. There are 3 outlets on the wall for small appliances. If they're all on the same circuit, it wouldn't take much to trip the breaker if an air fryer and a vegetable steamer are both used at the same time, even if plugged into separate outlets along the wall.

In fact, I would not only propose that the outlets need to be wired in an A, B, A, B fashion as above, but they should also be on opposite legs in the service panel to balance the load between L1 and L2. I always wire kitchens this way in new houses and remodel projects.

Any thoughts on this?
Could just as easily be air fryer plugged into recpt #1 fed from circuit A, clock radio plugged into #2 on B, and steamer plugged into #3 which is back on A.

In my own house I divided my kitchen down the middle and put one half of the kitchen and the dining on A and the other half on B. We entertain a lot and believe me I got stuff in my kitchen!!, rice cooker, kitchen aid, toaster oven, pop up toaster, blender, coffee maker, insta pot, counter top microwave, george forman grill, fry daddy.....Never had a breaker trip in almost twenty years now.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
To add, in a custom kitchen I did years ago, I put only two general-use counter-top receptacles on each 20a circuit, and I think there were three such circuits. The fridge was on its own, the built-in microwave receptacle (not over range) was on with the dining-room receptacles, and a quad inside an appliance barn on its own.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I'll do the OP one better. I have been accumulating a lot of 1500W commercial cooking appliances. So one of these days I'm going to put every duplex in the kitchen where appliances can be connected on a separate 20A circuit. That way too, if I get something that requires 240V I can easily convert the circuit.

So my recommendation would be dedicated 20A receptacles in kitchens.

-Hal

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I too have a remodel plan for my kitchen which requires every receptacle to be a separate circuit. I have many high amp countertop appliances I like to use simultaneously. Currently, I cannot make coffee (coffee maker) for me and tea (electric kettle) for the Mrs at the same time. With the microwave and toaster oven both on making breakfast items it's just too many amps.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why stop there? 2p GFCI breaker and MWBC to every receptacle split-wired. :sneaky:

I've considered split wiring the receptacle where the coffeemaker and tea kettle go. They sit next to each other and share a receptacle. As I said, I can't have them on simultaneously.

Microwatt

Just start doing work in North Dakota. State standards require 3 SABC for the kitchen and adjacent counter top receptacles are not permitted on the same circuit. No mention on circuits being on different phases however.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Jeff, while I do try to pair up circuits when making up the panel aimed toward better line-to-line balance, there's no one kitchen setup, or knowing where a resident might place each appliance.

I will attempt to make educated placement guesses, but I don't alternate circuits. If there is a real concern about what will end up being an appliance gathering place, then supply more circuits.

👍

Jap>

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
No thanks code book is fine as is, in fact I wouldn't mind some rules being deleted

I always liked minimum codes anyway because gave me a justification to charge more than lowball electrician that wired to code minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.