kitchen small appliance circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a kitchen with 2 small appliance circuits @ 20 amps each. I have installed 15 amp receptacles (GFI). The inspector has indicated that I must install 20 amp receptaces. I believe that 210:24 says otherwise?

480sparky

Local amendments aside, the NEC allows 15a receps on a 20a circuit. My guess is the inspector is misinterpreting 210.21.... he needs to read 210.21(B)(1) and understand the word 'single'.

Cavie

You need to educate your inspector. Explain the stated code reference to him. it that doesn't help, print Sparkys response and show it to your inspector. If that doesn't help, Tell him we will tar and feather him.:happyno:

Sir_Watts

Table 210.21(B)(2) in NEC 2011

Table 210.21(B)(2) in NEC 2011

Example:

In a single family dwelling, code states that a minimum of (2) two 20 amp GFCI protected circuits are required for the kitchen countertop receptacles.

If both (two) of the 20 amp kitchen countertop circuits have a quantity of (4) four 20 amp duplexes each and each OCDP is 20 amp GFCI, does Table 210.21(B)(2) apply since all (4) four of the duplexes on each branch circuit will be cord & plug connected to accomodate small plugged-in kitchen appliances? If Table 210.21(B)(2) is applicable in this example, what is the maximum OCPD load for the circuit on this example 16 or 20 amps?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Example:

In a single family dwelling, code states that a minimum of (2) two 20 amp GFCI protected circuits are required for the kitchen countertop receptacles.

If both (two) of the 20 amp kitchen countertop circuits have a quantity of (4) four 20 amp duplexes each and each OCDP is 20 amp GFCI, does Table 210.21(B)(2) apply since all (4) four of the duplexes on each branch circuit will be cord & plug connected to accomodate small plugged-in kitchen appliances? If Table 210.21(B)(2) is applicable in this example, what is the maximum OCPD load for the circuit on this example 16 or 20 amps?

Here's the section from your question:

210.21(B)(2) Total Cord-and-Plug-Connected Load. Where con-
nected to a branch circuit supplying two or more receptacles
or outlets, a receptacle shall not supply a total cord-and-plug-
connected load in excess of the maximum specified in Table
210.21(B)(2).

In your example you have 8 receptacles (4 duplex) on a 20 amp circuit. The load on any one of those 8 receptacles cannot exceed the ampacity from the table which would be 16 amps for a 20 amp device or 12 amps for a 15 amp device.

Welcome to the Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.