Kitchenette a Kitchen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
In a commercial office is a kitchenette with a refrigerator, sink, counter-top and microwave considered a Commercial Kitchen as per the NEC? This would mean the microwave would be considered for cooking and the food prep simply placing your lunch on the counter? Seems like a lot less than requirements for a commercial kitchen but there is no category for Kitchenettes. Basically I would prefer to not install a GFCI behind the fridge.

rcarroll

Depending on your code cycle, A GFCI device has to be readily accessible. If the fridge outlet is within 6' of the sink, it would still be required to have GFCI protection.
I don't consider a microwave a permanent cooking appliance.
I consider your "kitchenette" a break room.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
By definition it is arguable whether your area is a kitchenette. If the plan says kitchenette then you may have to follow the rules for a kitchen. If the plans say break room then I believe you may be okay. In either case, it is an authority having jurisdiction call.

Gfci cannot be behind the refrigerator. Either use a gfci breaker or install a receptacle on the counter that feeds the refrigerator.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
In a commercial office is a kitchenette with a refrigerator, sink, counter-top and microwave considered a Commercial Kitchen as per the NEC? This would mean the microwave would be considered for cooking and the food prep simply placing your lunch on the counter? Seems like a lot less than requirements for a commercial kitchen but there is no category for Kitchenettes. Basically I would prefer to not install a GFCI behind the fridge.

Kitchen. An area with a sink and permanent provisions for
food preparation and cooking.

The code does not seem to differentiate much between definitions of dwelling unit and commercial kitchens.

I would suggest what you have qualifies as a kitchen if the microwave is built in or affixed in some way. You might get an inspector to accept the idea that it is not a permanent cooking means if the microwave is just sitting on a counter.

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
So if this isn't a commercial kitchen and it's not a dwelling I believe I'm ok installing a regular receptacle behind the refrigerator assuming it's more than 6' from the edge of the sink. It seems odd the NEC doesn't specifically address kitchenettes. They are very common in just about every office setting.

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The rule is not about "commercial kitchens." It is about kitchens in other than dwelling units. I can't speak for your home state of Minnesota, but here in Washington what you described does qualify as a kitchen. Essentially, all you need to make that cut is a place to wash your knife and fork.

kwired

Electron manager
The problem is NEC defines kitchen in art 100 - but "permanent provisions for cooking" is subject to interpretation.

Most use of microwave ovens I wouldn't call "cooking" So many items these days are just heat and eat - no real need to "cook".

If you put raw meat or eggs in and thoroughly cook them then that is cooking.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The problem is NEC defines kitchen in art 100 - but "permanent provisions for cooking" is subject to interpretation.

Most use of microwave ovens I wouldn't call "cooking" So many items these days are just heat and eat - no real need to "cook".

If you put raw meat or eggs in and thoroughly cook them then that is cooking.

it is common to cook foods in microwaves. think microwave pizza. it is uncooked when it goes in the microwave and comes out cooked. think popcorn. goes in uncooked, comes out cooked.

I think the key would be if the microwave is permanent or not in determining if this is a kitchen or not.

Incidentally, it is pretty common in break rooms to have a toaster. That certainly cooks food. Again may or may not be considered permanent. I saw one once that had the cord secured to the wall, likely to make it harder to walk off with. that seems pretty much permanent to me.

kwired

Electron manager
it is common to cook foods in microwaves. think microwave pizza. it is uncooked when it goes in the microwave and comes out cooked. think popcorn. goes in uncooked, comes out cooked.

I think the key would be if the microwave is permanent or not in determining if this is a kitchen or not.

Incidentally, it is pretty common in break rooms to have a toaster. That certainly cooks food. Again may or may not be considered permanent. I saw one once that had the cord secured to the wall, likely to make it harder to walk off with. that seems pretty much permanent to me.
Most ranges are free standing and cord and plug connected yet we consider them permanent provisions for cooking.

Still subject to interpretation regardless what the cooking appliance is.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Most ranges are free standing and cord and plug connected yet we consider them permanent provisions for cooking.

Still subject to interpretation regardless what the cooking appliance is.

Free standing ranges these days have brackets that are screwed to the wall to keep them from tipping over. that would seem to make them more like permanent.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I don't think the issue would be only about the permanent cooking by the built in oven or microwave.

If that sink or counter top is no portable then you have permanent place for food preparation. That is unless the room is labeled workshop or Lab or something. If labeled break room you need to follow kitchen rules.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't think the issue would be only about the permanent cooking by the built in oven or microwave.

If that sink or counter top is no portable then you have permanent place for food preparation. That is unless the room is labeled workshop or Lab or something. If labeled break room you need to follow kitchen rules.

The kitchen definition requires permanent provisions for both storage and cooking (note the word "and" in the definition). The counters are permanent in all likelihood. The key for whether it is a kitchen would appear to be if there are permanent cooking provisions. I could see an inspector saying something is permanent if it is built in. I could see him saying it is permanent if it is sitting on a counter but is always there. Now if it was mounted on a wheeled cart one would have a very good argument that it is not permanent.

81sSMSW31iL._SL1500_.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
Free standing ranges these days have brackets that are screwed to the wall to keep them from tipping over. that would seem to make them more like permanent.
Anti - tip brackets don't fasten the appliance in place, they just keep it from tipping. Pull the appliance forward and it slides out whether you installed the bracket or not.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Anti - tip brackets don't fasten the appliance in place, they just keep it from tipping. Pull the appliance forward and it slides out whether you installed the bracket or not.

I agree, the ones that I've seen you attach the bracket to the wall or floor and you slide the range foot into it. ;)

IMG_20160603_171649.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.