Klein E-450 circuit tracer

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Anyone use the Klein E-450 tracer kit and if so, what do you think of it. I would expect to use it for tracing Romex in residential more than anything else?

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have one and it is ok but not great. If I had to use it often I'd want something else to be honest. I also recommend making friends with it at home first.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Some of the reviews are bad but it's rated 4.7 out of 5 which is good. I guess there is a learning curve which I would expect. Bill on the "Sparky Chanell" on you tube says it is good

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Now if you don't read how it works and end up just doing a non isolated ground and not disconnected nuetral your signal won't have a proper antenna so you need to be smart about what you're hooking up to. This applies to a dead short also

garbo

Side note: if you run into a lot of shared neutrals especially where they only use one neutral to feed 3 circuits from either a 120/208 or 480/277 volt panels please do your homework. I retired from a large hospital that was built over 70 years ago and only a few tracers performed great. We had the Amprobe tracers that cost over $500. One of the largest union electrical contractors in our state only purchased cheap tracers for thier guys and after losing a few hours trying to identify circuits they would have us use our Amprobe tracers to locate the circuits in a few minutes. We had a great electrical supervisor who demanded maybe ten years ago that every circuit must have its own neutral ( no more shared neutrals ).

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Well, I bought one and I can see there is a learning curve as far as the different hook ups you can use and how to operate it. I expected that. But it did find the run of Romex I was looking for. It's all about using the right level setting to trace at I think. I think the more you can isolate the wire you are after the better.

joeDE

Occupation
Electrician
Now if you don't read how it works and end up just doing a non isolated ground and not disconnected nuetral your signal won't have a proper antenna so you need to be smart about what you're hooking up to. This applies to a dead short also
Can you please elaborate