Knob and tube / fused

ritelec

My question. Was it ever electrical wiring practice to put the neutrals on over current protection.

Service call last night, a 6 circuit fuse box fed from a federal pacific panel had six wires of knob and tube wire entering it, with each wire landing on a fuse.

Their were two porcelain fuse blocks in it

One block had two fuses, one on top and one underneath, it had a point for one connection to feed a fuse and another point to feed another fuse

The other block had four fuses, a connection point to feed two fuses, and another connection point to feed the other two fuses.

The line neutral coming in fed one point on the two fuse block holder and continued through to feed one point of the four fuse block holder.

The neutral three fuse holders in total.

There were a couple holes in that fuse box with nothing mounted to it.

Was this possibly a point to mount a neutral bar?
Did someone revamp and repurpose this fuse panel? And wire it incorrectly?
Was it common way back when to fuse the neutral also ?

Thank you for your thoughts.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
My question. Was it ever electrical wiring practice to put the neutrals on over current protection.

Service call last night, a 6 circuit fuse box fed from a federal pacific panel had six wires of knob and tube wire entering it, with each wire landing on a fuse.

Their were two porcelain fuse blocks in it

One block had two fuses, one on top and one underneath, it had a point for one connection to feed a fuse and another point to feed another fuse

The other block had four fuses, a connection point to feed two fuses, and another connection point to feed the other two fuses.

The line neutral coming in fed one point on the two fuse block holder and continued through to feed one point of the four fuse block holder.

The neutral three fuse holders in total.

There were a couple holes in that fuse box with nothing mounted to it.

Was this possibly a point to mount a neutral bar?
Did someone revamp and repurpose this fuse panel? And wire it incorrectly?
Was it common way back when to fuse the neutral also ?

Thank you for your thoughts.
Yes.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
All of the old 110 volt (yes, I know it is 120 volts now, but when these services were installed it was only 110) 30 amp services I worked on had 30 amp fuses for both the hot and neutral. Some of the branch circuits had fuses for both, but others only had branch circuit fuses for the hots.