Knob and Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

General Contractor I work for called today and said he opened a wall and found K+T.

The location was an exterior wall where the original service was located when the home was built in 1928.

Looks like whoever did the work fed a j box with 14/3 NM ( probably in the 50's) and spliced all the K+T at that point.

Once I got it rung out I found it powers all the lighting on the first floor and quite a few receptacles.

If I keep insulation out of that wall cavity can the K+T stay as long as it's properly spliced in the proper size box?

There were 8 single conductors in loom and the old style 14/3 cable in a 1 1/2" deep octagon box, soldered and taped.

Thanks

ritelec

How often does it terminate in a box (switches)? Usually the wires just get tapped off of like plumbing lines and fixture outlets poke through a board.

nizak

How often does it terminate in a box (switches)? Usually the wires just get tapped off of like plumbing lines and fixture outlets poke through a board.
Once it's exposed, by code does it need to be addressed?

Honestly, it's a can of worms I'd rather not get into but it's something that has to be dealt with now.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
IMO, there's nothing wrong with using K&T that hasn't been overloaded.

It sounds like the 14-3 is supplying the original home runs.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If something ever triggers a requirement for other than dead end receptacle GFCIs there may be a problem with the common use of shared/networked neutrals with K&T.

ritelec

Honestly, it's a can of worms
yep. You can only be honest about it. imo, have the contractor let the owner know. It may be safe and no issue for years and years (with no ground).. but sometimes the insulation drys up or the splices aren't to good and start coming apart.
Let the owner make the decision.
Around here it's an issue if caught by home inspectors for sellers trying to sell there home as mortgage companies don't like the knob and tube.

Let them make the decision. if you do indeed replace it don't sell yourself short.

Status
Not open for further replies.