Knob & Tube wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

I have a stairwell that needs a three way switch at top of stairs. I discovered the bottom switch is being fed from knob & tube wiring. To strap wire on the surface, I was going to use armoured cable, but now amthinking i need to tape it where it enters the wall close to other wires. No cantact will be made, but an extra precaution. The trick I think is the existing knob and tube has no ground/bond... do i use the armoured cable and strap it to the box? ...maybe use building wire?...shielded where it may get mechanical damage? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I have a stairwell that needs a three way switch at top of stairs. I discovered the bottom switch is being fed from knob & tube wiring. To strap wire on the surface, I was going to use armoured cable, but now amthinking i need to tape it where it enters the wall close to other wires. No cantact will be made, but an extra precaution. The trick I think is the existing knob and tube has no ground/bond... do i use the armoured cable and strap it to the box? ...maybe use building wire?...shielded where it may get mechanical damage? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Why would you want to use armored cable coming out of a metal box that has no EGC?:blink:

powerplay

Why would you want to use armored cable coming out of a metal box that has no EGC?:blink:

The place has every form of wiring known to man... I didn't know it was knob and tube until I tackled it, but wanted to protect the conductors when they were in a stairwell below 1.5 meters. I stopped when i seen the knob & tube, and thinking I should go with plastic wire mold perhaps. The screws that hold the cover plate still are connected to the box with no EGC...

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
The place has every form of wiring known to man... I didn't know it was knob and tube until I tackled it, but wanted to protect the conductors when they were in a stairwell below 1.5 meters. I stopped when i seen the knob & tube, and thinking I should go with plastic wire mold perhaps. The screws that hold the cover plate still are connected to the box with no EGC...

I think the wire mold will work well.

Just curious, what is "building wire"?

Status
Not open for further replies.