Knowledge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
No, i had to look it up. Never commit to memory what you can look up. Always know where you can look up anything.

Is that what is wrong with me lately ? I know I can look it up so why bother to try and remember it, what was your name again, I could look it up but that would take to much time. :D:D:D

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I belong to IAEI and some of there discussions are almost as if they come from here. Maybe they do. Can we switch an outlet in the Kitchen? AFCIs & Smoke Detectors. Gound rods vs CCE or both.

You are exposed to different viewpoints but sometimes still leave wondering just what the answer to a question really was.

wbalsam1

As far as the IAEI goes, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I'm not particularly happy with my "local" chapter, but the organization as a whole is tremendously important to the electrical industry. :cool:

JJWalecka

I belong to IAEI and some of there discussions are almost as if they come from here. Maybe they do. Can we switch an outlet in the Kitchen? AFCIs & Smoke Detectors. Gound rods vs CCE or both.

You are exposed to different viewpoints but sometimes still leave wondering just what the answer to a question really was.

As far as the IAEI goes, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I'm not particularly happy with my "local" chapter, but the organization as a whole is tremendously important to the electrical industry. :cool:

Thank you for your time

JJ

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector

What if any is your opinion of the ICC ? I was told by one of the local head inspectors that when they are looking for new inspectors they prefer to see ICC certification.

wbalsam1

What if any is your opinion of the ICC ? I was told by one of the local head inspectors that when they are looking for new inspectors they prefer to see ICC certification.

I believe you are correct since most of the states are at work on reciprocal certification for inspectors. Probably a while out, but it is being developed. ICC for me.:smile:

brian john

I search the web and download pertinent data printing it out for later reference. I also keep old books and discuss the trade with those in the know.

But it is real fun discussing the trade with those not on the know it is amazing the amount of misinformation our fellow tradesmen harbor.

JJWalecka

I search the web and download pertinent data printing it out for later reference. I also keep old books and discuss the trade with those in the know.

But it is real fun discussing the trade with those not on the know it is amazing the amount of misinformation our fellow tradesmen harbor.

Thanks

JJ

Besoeker

I love this forum as a way to study and keep up to date with the electrical industry.

I?m curious of other ways to get knowledge? We are fortunate to live in a time where so much is at our fingertips. What would others recommend?
Certifications, meetings, groups, books, textbooks, reference materials, topics to google or research?
Certainly the internet is a vast resource for information.
A good grounding in the basic principles is, in my opinion, a fundamental and essential building block.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.

Said a mouthful there! Nice part about this forum is just how fast dis-information is subject to correction. Sometimes it takes flame-proof underwear to do it, but tough stuff gets requires tough measures.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I am a member of the IAEI and get quite a bit out of it. I don't just attend the local meetings I try to make as many of the section meetings as I can. We also started a Division, the California Electrical Inspectors, of which I'm a board member.

It's very satisfiying for me when I go to these meetings and listen to a peer give a seminar and think something to my self, and then have one of the guys I really respect stand up and say what I just thought. Lets you know that you really are learning something.

I also attend a lot of ICC classes. I've taken the California Electrical Code update class four times, maybe five, and I get something out of it each time.

I like this forum also because sometimes someone will say something and I'll think, ummmmm, then I dig through the book and either learn something because he's right and sometimes because he's wrong.:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.