KWatt/Hour Meter in C1 D2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EasyEight

New User
Hello all,

I am currently working on a deficiency where a watthour meter is currently located within a C1D2 area from an above ground MOGAS tank. As far as I can tell from my searches there is not an explosion proof watt/hour on the market. So I am looking to see if the meter is able to stay in the location it currently is. The only option I can see for allowing this would be from 501.105 B1 noninccendive circuit. I am not very well versed on the operations of watt meter but from what I understand it is just a CT coupled to a sort of induction motor for the disk. To the best of my knowledge these things don't spark or make/break contacts. So could this meter be allowed to stay in the class 1 div 2 area?

Thanks for the input.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Start with reviewing Section 501.105(B) very carefully. You will most likely find the kW-hr meter isn't required to be explosionproof in the first place.

Then read Section 501.10(B)(3) very carefully. You won't find nonincendive a very promising solution if the above doesn't apply. It's far more complex than an inexperienced/unfamiliar designer/installer thinks it is; especially when trying to find an applicable control drawing.

Finally, consider a purged/pressurized scheme (NFPA 496) as a last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.