Labeling junction boxes and pull boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

1977Sparky

Are inspector is telling us we must label all j boxes and pull boxes with circuit numbers this is a commercial application in a restaurant. I have looked it up and can't fine anything, only Pv apps, fire etc

masterinbama

You will not find it in the NEC. The only place you will find that requirement is in the job specifications. If the specifications are part of the drawings your jurisdiction approved he has a valid point.

480sparky

Handy dandy hint: When an inspector says they require something, ask for a Code reference. They're legally obliged to give you one.

macmikeman

It is because there isn't anything to find. Sometimes we make blanket statements based on how things are where we are located at, but maybe it just isn't so where somebody else resides. That is why it is best to make a disclaimer when posting matter of factly.

kwired

Electron manager
Could you please show me in the legislative acts for my area where it states this? Cause believe me, I have looked for it and it is not there anyplace.
I honestly don't know. If at any initial citation they don't provide any reference to the specific law being broken I would think any kind of appeal to their accusation would about have to eventually lead to producing the source of the law, if no such source exists then you should have the right to have any penalty removed as you were not in the wrong in the first place. JMO.

macmikeman

I honestly don't know. If at any initial citation they don't provide any reference to the specific law being broken I would think any kind of appeal to their accusation would about have to eventually lead to producing the source of the law, if no such source exists then you should have the right to have any penalty removed as you were not in the wrong in the first place. JMO.

Lol, try using that reasoning in Kailua and tell me how well it works out for you.........

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Lol, try using that reasoning in Kailua and tell me how well it works out for you.........

Well according to section 9 of the County of Hawaii building code, a written notice of findings is required by law.
Section 9-16.2. Notice of violation.
(a) Whenever the authority having jurisdiction determines that there exists a violation of any provision of this
code, the authority having jurisdiction shall serve a notice of violation upon the parties responsible for the
violation, which may include, but shall not be limited to the owner and any lessee of the property where
the violation is located, to make the building or portion thereof comply with the requirements of this
code. Such notice of violation shall include:
(1) The date of the notice;
(2) The name and address of the person noticed, and the location of the violation;
(3) The section number of the ordinance, code or rule which has been violated;
(4) The nature of the violation; and
(5) The deadline for compliance with the notice.

The County of Hawaii has only two changes to the NEC.
Article 4. Modifications to National Electrical Code.
Section 9-23. Deleting Annex H, Administration and Enforcement of the 2008 NEC.
Section 9-24. Amending the National Electrical Code by adding material; rain water and sea water
flooding standards.
Section 9-25. Reserved.

480sparky

It is because there isn't anything to find. Sometimes we make blanket statements based on how things are where we are located at, but maybe it just isn't so where somebody else resides. That is why it is best to make a disclaimer when posting matter of factly.

So let's all just quit answering questions because the answers won't apply.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Jim, you got the wrong Kailua. There is on on Hawaii, and one on Oahu. Different counties.
Mahalo

To me there are few places like Hawaii, I forget there are other islands.
I love the variety of rain forest and desert.
And of course there is Kona coffee.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.