Labeling of Panelboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
The client has a number of 3ph, 4W 480/277V Panelboards he wants to use as power panels, that is, 480V 3ph 3W- no neutral. To me this is misleading but does it violate the NEC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
The client has a number of 3ph, 4W 480/277V Panelboards he wants to use as power panels, that is, 480V 3ph 3W- no neutral. To me this is misleading but does it violate the NEC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can’t think of a reason why it would be an issue as long as the loads are straight 3phase.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The manufacturers label equipment based on their maximum possible voltage not on their supplied voltage.

If the source is 3 phase 4 wire a neutral conductor only needs to be present if there are Line -Neutral loads at that location.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The manufacturers label equipment based on their maximum possible voltage not on their supplied voltage.

If the source is 3 phase 4 wire a neutral conductor only needs to be present if there are Line -Neutral loads at that location.
I agree but it would be nice if the panelboard were field labeled 3Ø, 3W for anyone coming along in the future.

Danielt

Occupation
Master Electrician
I would get an insulated neutral bar kit, and run the neutral, unless these panels are already installed
I have cursed aloud when needing to add a circuit, only to find the panel 10' away has no neutral:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.