Labeling Smoke detectors

Janutolo80

Occupation
Electrician
I apologize if this is in the wrong section but can’t find any code away from the NEC related to required labeling. I found it needs to be UL listed but is it required to label a smoke detector’s install date and expiration date based on when it was manufactured? If so please point me to a particular code where I can reference.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
here is a good discussion. the requirement is in NFPA72.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I apologize if this is in the wrong section but can’t find any code away from the NEC related to required labeling. I found it needs to be UL listed but is it required to label a smoke detector’s install date and expiration date based on when it was manufactured? If so please point me to a particular code where I can reference.
If this is a "smoke alarm" then NFPA 72 requires it to be replaced within 10 years of the date of manufacture.
If it is a smoke detector connected to a fire alarm control panel, it is recommended that it be replaced within 10 years of date of manufacture, but not required by NFPA 72.

Janutolo80

Occupation
Electrician
If this is a "smoke alarm" then NFPA 72 requires it to be replaced within 10 years of the date of manufacture.
If it is a smoke detector connected to a fire alarm control panel, it is recommended that it be replaced within 10 years of date of manufacture, but not required by NFPA 72.
The question is if it’s required to label the expiration and installation dates

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I've never seen this as a recommendation, and Siemens would be the first to jump on this if they thought they could get away with it. As long as the detector doesn't go into trouble, it's fine to keep it in service. It's hard enough to get customers to fix violations let alone cough up random cash.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The question is if it’s required to label the expiration and installation dates
The only date required is the manufactured date and that is done by the manufacturer. The installation date does not matter, if you install a smoke alarm that was manufactured 9 years ago, it has to be replaced the next year.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Not a bad idea to label, whether required or not. I try to date and initial everything I install because we get some good products and some lousy ones. Dating gives an easy way to keep track. Hopefully by that, we can avoid buying the same junk twice.