labelling of distribution equipment/arc fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Was there a change in the 08 NEC relevant to arc fault rating of equipment (not to be confused with receptacle requirements in dwelling units). More specifically, I thought there was a vague reference in the code without much teeth but nevertheless related to the current trend towards rating equipment for the various PPE levels.

I can't find anything but could have sworn there was something added.

True?

Thanks,

Mike

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Was there a change in the 08 NEC relevant to arc fault rating of equipment (not to be confused with receptacle requirements in dwelling units). More specifically, I thought there was a vague reference in the code without much teeth but nevertheless related to the current trend towards rating equipment for the various PPE levels.

I can't find anything but could have sworn there was something added.

True?

Thanks,

Mike

No. The change was to NFPA70E-2009, which now requires an incident energy or a PPE level on labels.

mshields

Nfpa 70e

Nfpa 70e

Is this to be adopted by any states as code. Or is it to continue to be a standard. Albeit one that insurance companies are driving?

If the latter, are insurance companies offering breaks to impliment or are they requiring compliance for insurability?

Thanks,

Mike

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Is this to be adopted by any states as code. Or is it to continue to be a standard. Albeit one that insurance companies are driving?

If the latter, are insurance companies offering breaks to impliment or are they requiring compliance for insurability?

Thanks,

Mike
NFPA 70E is concerned with the safety of workers. I have heard of several insurance companies requiring compliance. Compliance with OSHA, is probably the primary driving force in pushing compliance with 70E.

Status
Not open for further replies.