labor hours

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
for foreman, supers, or lead man. Are you given the labor hours given for each step of the project or just given the total hours and told make it work. Is there any feed back from PMs Estimators on how the project was bid and what they allocated for each phase of the project because I am given the latter. The laborhours and materials and told make it work.

cdslotz

All shops are different but the standard is, once job is awarded, the team for the project team (estimator, PM, Supt, Forman) meets to go through the project in detail where all quotes, subs, equipment, etc used to win the job are presented to the PM. All issues, problems, omissions are flushed out.......then the estimate is broken down into work codes to be entered into the company system to monitor labor/material codes (this is where your enter work codes on timecards). The detail of these breakdowns can be very basic or very detailed. They are passed down to all parties and then to the field. So yes....you are given hours to do each step IF that's how it's broken down. Example: 2nd floor lighting conduit rough-in......

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
All shops are different but the standard is, once job is awarded, the team for the project team (estimator, PM, Supt, Forman) meets to go through the project in detail where all quotes, subs, equipment, etc used to win the job are presented to the PM. All issues, problems, omissions are flushed out.......then the estimate is broken down into work codes to be entered into the company system to monitor labor/material codes (this is where your enter work codes on timecards). The detail of these breakdowns can be very basic or very detailed. They are passed down to all parties and then to the field. So yes....you are given hours to do each step IF that's how it's broken down. Example: 2nd floor lighting conduit rough in

Where I work they have PM,that monitors PM, CMs, estimator, accounting for POs, warehouse for supplies, dispatch for scheduling , and probably couple more people I cant think of and only 3 people doing a project that takes 5 and half the labor budget needed to complete a job. This happends every project and wonder why they losing money. They want our margins to be 30% but we make 15% at best. The Projects are 8hrs travel to and from. The crews most of the time put in over 50-60hrs a week. I just dont know what to do or questions to ask anymore. Im given a labor budget but its never enough. Im pretty lost.

cdslotz

Your company seems to be setup in a normal chain-of-command for a typical med/large EC.
Based on your claim that your labor overruns for these tasks are consistently over by 5.5x your target, (don't know how you came up with that number) I can make a couple of guesses ......1) Your estimating is off, but I doubt that because a company your size has all the same computer tools that your competitors do. It would be impossible to be off x5.5...no matter how shitty your estimator is. 2) The persons breaking down the job (most likely the PM), is skimming the budget man/hrs that are given to the field....a very difficult/impossible budget to meet, but if they can squeeze 30% extra effort out of you, they come out ahead. Also consider if PMs, estimators, job foremen get bonuses for labor savings.
If they haven't fired anyone for labor overruns, I wouldn't about it...