Ladder Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

mdshunk said:
My father was a general contractor, so I was crawling around in high places from little on up. I never really had a fear of heights. I was well into adulthood before I realized how many grown men were deathly afraid of heights. It's fun to be in a lift with a guy like that. I like to sway the lift around a bit just to see them turn green.

no fear of heights....just fear of the physical exertion from climbing up and down a ladder:D

360Youth

mdshunk said:
I never really understood those. They're real back breakers to work off of.

I'd just as soon work off that as any other ladder. We used to have a 12' with 6 or 8 foot extention. It is a clincher getting used to, but once you do it is completely stable. (All OSHA rules strictly adhered to, BTW...:roll: :grin: )

Seriously, I felt as safe on that ladder as any step or extention.

L

Lxnxjxhx

affraid of heights

affraid of heights

I think you have a 50-50 chance of surviving a 35 foot fall, and the ones who survive wish they didn't. It's physical therapy forever after.

Speaking of risks, your avatar could be showing me when I first realized there was something inside wall outlets that I didn't understand.

satcom

emahler said:
no fear of heights....just fear of the physical exertion from climbing up and down a ladder:D

Quote: "It's fun to be in a lift with a guy like that. I like to sway the lift around a bit just to see them turn green"

If i caught a guy swaying a lift to taunt another employee, it would be his last day on any job site i was running, no horse play of any kind, lifts are not an amusment park rides, the guys that find pleasure in this are not the ones i want as employees.

mdshunk

satcom said:
If i caught a guy swaying a lift to taunt another employee, it would be his last day on any job site i was running, no horse play of any kind, lifts are not an amusment park rides, the guys that find pleasure in this are not the ones i want as employees.
One man's horseplay is "separating the wheat from the chaff" to another. There's even a power company that recruits lineman apprentices by taking them up in their tallest truck to purposely try and scare the crap out of them.

satcom

mdshunk said:
One man's horseplay is "separating the wheat from the chaff" to another. There's even a power company that recruits lineman apprentices by taking them up in their tallest truck to purposely try and scare the crap out of them.

It is just my way of doing things, I will not judge another companies practice in this area, i have many years at flying stunt planes, and i know a few of these guys that would never get in a lift or a bucket, the utility sorting out men on a test is a bit different then just horse play.

tonyou812

I really need a 16 footer but 850 bucks is a little to steep for me right now. Theres other things that I need first. If I need to get that high Ill borrow one from my old boss.

DIRT27

mdshunk said:

Thats the truth, I work for the poco for a while in the line department. They make you do a few test before they hire you. Basic climbing they made us climb down the insulators and sit on the wire on a transmission tower about 80' up. Nothing you would ever do in the field, but they wanted to make sure you were okay with working at that height. The instructors also like to to bang there hammer right next to your hands if you were holding on with you body belt on. They said two hands for the company, trust you tools.

Teaspoon

I have a 6' to 11' Little giant . I call it my stair-case ladder.
It works great on stair ways. It is kinda heavy to set up.But is a stable ladder.It is the best thing i have found for installing those stair-way lights.
These ladders are a little pricey but i look at it this way what is your safety worth?

quogueelectric

mivey said:
Works fine for 200-250 lbs. Just sit on the top rung with one of your feet looped into a lower rung. Leaning side to side can be exciting as the ladder slop comes into play...ka-chung!

My boss used to straddle the middle section standing up and could reach up over his head. The best I remember, the big one was 32'. I never could convince myself to let go with both hands when standing up. I guess I could have strapped a piece of conduit to the side to give me something to hold to cure the vertigo.
This is in direct violation of the current OSHA laws. They are not selling jungle jims just ladders.

mivey

jungle jim?

jungle jim?

quogueelectric said:
This is in direct violation of the current OSHA laws. They are not selling jungle jims just ladders.
And there I went
To the OSHA web page
Care to quote me the section?
I'm no rule-finding sage
Hey, hey, we were working
We were not monkeying around
We were too busy working
To put anybody down

Status
Not open for further replies.