Landfill Classification Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhee2

Is there any design standard which provides guidance for area classification in a landfill site? Something more specific than NFPA 497 and equivalent to what NFPA 52/59/59A provide for Natural Gas/Propane Facilities?

I have not found one, but am wondering if others are aware of one. My initial experience with landfill applications is suggesting much less formality in the classification and documentation of hazardous areas at landfills than at Gas facilities.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The City of Los Angeles has a Methane Mitigation Program. It's excessive in my opinion having been written by an organization with no previous practical experience. Nevertheless they have made quite a name for themselves.

If you actually have a gas reclamation system, NFPA 497 is adequate.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The Mountain View Shoreline Amphitheater, located on top of a large landfill, had to implement a better methane mitigation system than the one originally installed after concert goers seated on the grass started to have fun igniting methane jets.
And since this was "natural" methane it was not odorized and therefore hard to detect without instrumentation. :)

nhee2

Interesting. Everything is 'better' in City of LA.

I was actually asking about an in-service/operating landfill, with systems for leachate management and LFG processing. I found a UK standard which is somewhat specific to operating landfills (classifications using Zones) but nothing in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.